Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: self-weaning

Default self-weaning

Hi, everyone, I'm posting for the first time in this new board! My daughter just turned one and she's never been a big eater. She's been having very few diapers for a long time and I feel drier and drier. I just don't know whether I should give her formula or fresh cow milk? Also, I brought my daughter for a shot a few days ago and she weighed almost the same as two months ago! Should I be concerned about this? She now weighs 11.4kg

Default Re: self-weaning

Hi Susan,
    Happy birthday to your daughter!
    Can you describe a bit more about your daughter's nursing (how often/how long) and eating patterns? Was your HCP concerned about her weight?
    At this age, babies can be easily disctracted and quite active! They can be so involved in learning new skills that they forget to nurse.
    It may be normal for a baby who has gained rapidly in the early months to slow down in the 6-12 month period.
    What kinds of foods does she like to eat? How about juice? (Low calorie foods & juice can fill a baby up but not provide much nutrition.)

Mary

My son was a very fast gainer in the first 6 months and he totally stalled around a year. I introduced a sippy cup with water at about 10 months because he was just too busy to stop and nurse and wouldn't nurse at all when we were out. He did not totally wean himself until around 21 months though. He still isn't a big gainer but as long as he is happy, healthy and full of energy I don't worry. I also don't worry too much about the number of wet or dirty diapers because he pees much less often as his bladder is now bigger. At 11.4kg your daughter seems a normal weight for 1 year. My son was 19 pounds which I think is around 8.5-9kg. a light weight. I watch how much he eats and I make sure he is getting some soy milk or yogurt and cheese. I didn't worry about it so much before he weaned though. I think as long as your daughter is eating a well balanced diet and has a good fluid intake(water etc.) I wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain. My son still only weighs about 24 pounds at 22 months but is tall and thin and packed full of energy.

Hi, thanks for the replies! My daughter nurses about 10 mins total from both sides, 5 times daily and I try to give her lunch and dinner. Usually her meals are some bread and cheese for lunch and pasta mixed with meat and veggie for dinner but she's a little fickle about food. Sometimes she would eat up half a bowl of porridge and then next time, nothing more than two spoonful! I've been trying to be creative with her meals in order to get more in her mouth. Also, I've been worrying about her wet diapers situation since her birth b/c she's always been having fewer diapers than suggested by books and experts and her diapers smell very strong. The last 3 nights she didn't wake up for a mid-night feed and so her diaper was dry in the morning! I really want to nurse her as long as she's interested but at the same time I want to make sure that she gets enough nutritions for growth and development. If I have to 'supplement', is formula better than fresh milk? Thanks a lot.

Some of your options might be to nurse more often, or to try to nurse longer. Have you heard of breast compression? Once your daughter is no longer drinking but just “nibbling” hold your breast with one hand, thumb on one side and four fingers on the other, and gently bring your thumb and fingers together. It should be firm but it should not hurt. Hopefully you will see signs of drinking again. Hold the compression until she’s back to a nibble. If she doesn’t start actively drinking again you could try another compression in another area of the breast. You can experiment with this technique to see if it works for you. This might keep her interest in nursing longer and let her get more milk and calories.
    If you are concerned about her weight, you could try to gently wake her for a middle of the night feed, too. (I know it’s hard to wake them when they start sleeping through! But it might give her a calorie/nutrition boost.) Is your HCP concerned about her gain? Another option would be to supplement with your own milk. You and your doctor could discuss other options for boosting calories as well.