Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is going on with my daughter?

Default What is going on with my daughter?

Can stress affect the quality or taste of bm? My husband is going to have open heart surgery to repair a congenital heart defect on Friday. Needless to say, we are under a lot of stress in my house.

My baby girl is 9 weeks old and has been a very happy, content and easy baby since the day she was born. Over the last few days she has become fussy and extremely clingy. She is not sleeping well and is all of a sudden very gassy. Today she even threw up! Not spit up, she actually threw up, pretty violently. She has not had ANY of these problems until now.

I will admit that I am feeling very stressed out by what is going on around here. I also have two boys, ages 3 and 4, and they are having a hard time.

I am not having supply issues, but sometimes she will fuss when I try to start nursing her. She will wail and cry for a minute or two before she will latch on. She has never done this before. Always before she just latched on right away and started nursing. Now she fusses and cries and sometimes continues to cry a bit even after she has latched on. Could the milk be affected by the stress in my home? Do you think she is just picking up on my emotions, not having problems with my bm? What can I do to help her through this? I am taking her with me to the surgery because she nurses exclusively. I thought that would be less stresful to her than leaving her with a baby sitter. Would she be better off with a caregive who, even though it is not her mommmy, is not so upset? I hate to see her this sad. I thought that it would be better for her to be with me the whole time, but now I am not so sure. What do you think?

Default Re: What is going on with my daughter?

I think you are doing the rigth thing takeing the baby with you, nursing her will help you be more calm also!

*huggssss*

You know, children are the most sensitive humans alive - they sence our stress and our unease and discomfort. I am willing to bet your baby is just picking up on the stress in the house and your emotions going nuts. I would agree to nurse often - it will calm you both.

My prayers are with your family

Stress does not affect the quality of your BM however, your mood does effect the baby. Try to be calm around her esp. during nursing times. Perhaps you can drink some calming tea while nursing, play soothing music or even take a warm tob bath with your baby and BF her in the tub - this has worked for me. Projectile vomiting/spit up is common in babies as is gassyness. So unless she is running a fever or keeps vomiting ALL the time, you are ok (however follow your mother's instinct in this matter). I hope that your husbands surgery is successful - if you ever need to vent or talk feel free to e-mail me. Hugs your way ...
    Anjali

I'd agree that our children easily pick up on our moods and emotions. I'm sure that your DD simply senses what is going on. I'd certainly bring her with you to the hospital. It will be a help to all three of you!

Try not to overthink it. I'm sure that's hard given the circumstances. But I'm sure you will all be back to your normal routine and moods very soon. My suggestion ... try to enjoy the extra opportunities your DD is providing you to hold and comfort her. It may be hard to see it that way, but her fussiness is encouraging you to cuddle and soothe her more than before. Maybe she and you need that. Unfortunately, before you know it she will be on the move and less likely to stop crawling etc. for a cuddle. We'll all be thinking of you and your family tomorrow.

Hmmm. . . not necessarily a credible source, but my dentist told me that my bm might taste different after a root canal because of me being stressed out during it.
    I'm sorry you have so much stress - I wish you the best of luck and I think everything with your baby will blow over soon. I noticed that a few times I have been really upset (I had to attend a funeral for a close family member w/ baby), my dd sort of got quiet and just snuggled me, like she knew what I needed. She was a little older, but I bet your dd will be that support for you too.

Stress does alter your body chemistry. It changes hormone levels (not necessarily just sex hormones like estrogen, but all the fight-or-flight hormones, etc) so it's not impossible to think that something could be a little different in your milk. That's not at all to suggest that there is a problem with your milk, there isn't. Keep in mind that women have been breastfeeding through times of war, famine, etc. etc., throughout the ages, so don't worry about that part!! What all the PPs have said, that your baby is likely picking up on your stress and anxiety level is so true. At their ages, babies are little units who function entirely on there senses and not the interpretations their brains give, if that makes any sense. Babies 'feel' w/out the filters we impose as we age and supposedly mature. Agree fully with everyone's advice....nurse often, let yourself and baby get the most out of the positive relaxing hormones that nursing affords.
    Very best to you and yours; prayers going out to your husband and for the surgeons who will be working on him.
    Jsmom