Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: biting

Default biting

I want to continue nursing my 15 month old, but she is biting a lot. She's always nibbled a little bit, but it has never really hurt and so I've never done much about it. Recently either she has started biting harder or I've gotten more sensitive. Either way, I don't know what to do. She does it most when she is falling asleep, and I don't want to wake her up over and over again by unlatching her or whatever. It is now 11:46pm, and I can't get her to sleep nursing because she keeps biting, and so I gave her to my husband to rock and she's throwing a fit. I don't think she understands why I'm unlatching her when I do it, and I don't know how to help her understand. Help!!!!

Default Re: biting

This is the age when I find they do start biting a bit, but I promise you it will pass, I think it's a sort of 'phrase' thing in the baby development. I have experience this with both my LOs'.

What I did is not stick my finger in my LO's mouth to 'unlatch' like I used to, because of the row of teeth now present! I say "Och no!" and then simply pinched my LO's nose, and she would let go to breath!

My 2nd LO had a nasty habit of clamping her mouth shut tight on my nipple every time she fell asleep! Wow that hurt! I had holes in my nipples, and they would pus over! Treated it with antiseptic lotion and a cotton bud and I would squeeze out the pus in the bath! But, like I said I think it's a 'phrase' my LO is 18 mths now, doesn't hurt me at all and I trust her completely. And, but, I certainly don't forget what she did to me!

I used to too ended up waking this LO at night time because of her 'clamping'! I just muddled through and breastfed again, but to me the 'clamping' didn't happen every time and that's when I finally succeeded in getting her to sleep. Also I found when my LO had a extra nap during the day, this helped with the problem I found she fell asleep more lightly and didn't clamp so much. I think the clamping is more likely to happen if they fall into a deep sleep too quickly.

I do hope this all helps and good luck!
    Last edited by Milkmaid; December 28th, 2007 at 06:31 AM.

Hello? Is there anybody here?

I would have thought they be other 'biters'!

my lo is 25 months old and she has quite a biting reputation! She does it most when she's teething...she's still working on 2 "eye teeth". She also clamps down when she officially falls asleep. OUCH!!! I just tell her "no that hurts mommy" when she bites and is awake. When she clamps I quickly detach her and then if she wakes up I let her latch again but I watch for the "signs" of her falling asleep again and try to detach her before she clamps again. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It has gotten better with time though. She's drawn blood many times and I've suffered through and the phase has passed or at least improved with time. Good luck!

Cathy
    Wife for 11 yrs and counting
    Mom to ds (12/96) bf 11mos
    dd (9/98) bf 6mos
    dd (11/05) bf 27mos and counting!