Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help. Turning 1 tomorrow and not that interested in solids

Default Please help. Turning 1 tomorrow and not that interested in solids

Hi. My DD is turning 1 tomorrow and is not that interested in solids. We started solids with her at 9m due to her not seeming ready before and a family hx of severe allergies. Overall, she is cubby and nurses well and is developing well.

Is it ok that she doesn't really want solids right now as long as I continue to nurse?

I saw this on kellymom.com:
    * In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
    o 29% of energy requirements
    o 43% of protein requirements
    o 36% of calcium requirements
    o 75% of vitamin A requirements
    o 76% of folate requirements
    o 94% of vitamin B12 requirements
    o 60% of vitamin C requirements
    -- Dewey 2001

She has always bf right from me so I don't know if 448 ml (~16 oz) is a lot or a little. I have heard that some babies are more prone to allergies and that they will refuse food for that reason. Should I worry about her not taking in many calories from solids? Also, do you have any suggestions on favorite finger foods?

By the way, she will eat cheerios and rice krispie type cereals but very very daintly (1 at a time- kind of like a princess lol). She will take food off of my finger if I prod but will often seal her mouth!

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Please help. Turning 1 tomorrow and not that interested in solids

Don't worry! Breastmilk is sufficient nutrition for the first year of life, and it can continue to make up a large part or even the majority of your child's diet well after the age of one. It's not like they suddenly go from needing only breastmilk to needing tons of solids- it's a gradual transition between the two. So long as your babe is growing and meeting her milestones and happy and healthy, don't worry about her lack of interest in solids. One of these days she is going to decide that she loves them. My daughter didn't eat much solid food until around 14-15 months.

As to favorite finger foods, we went right to table foods, so long as they were soft and cut up in small pieces. We had a lot of early success with things from soups- like boiled shredded chicken, soft noddles, soft veggies.

We are having the same problem. I've found that my lo doesn't care for "baby food" but would willingly taste what we were eating. She won't eat her rice cereal with BM but would take some Cocoa Wheats with BM. Go figure?

my daughter was/is exactly like urs. her twin bro is the opposite--all into solids. both are perfctly healthy.

to entice her i fed her off my fingers at first-she was more open to this than to spoons. foods she likes: carrot puree, pear purree, baked apple puree, greek yogurt mixed with pured banana or apple, cottage cheese also mixed with these 2 fruits, baked pureed swet potato mixed ith pureed chicken and broth. recently (ince she noe is 18 monts and has a few molars) we tried a long skinny strand of colby cheese--wow! she stuffs her mouth and asks 4 more! by pointing and saying me me me!

she also loves haggen daz ice cream which was ok'd per her pediatrician as`she is at the 3rd percentile in wt....20th in ht.

and now that she is learning to use a spoon she refuses to eat unless she is self feeding!

we still nurse 6-7 times per 24 hrs...mostly evn/nt b/c i nowwork.

Totally fine! Read "My Child Won't Eat!"

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Thanks so much for all the replies! She has actually suddenly started to eat somewhat better. A few months ago, I read My Child Won't Eat and agree that it is a great book.
    Jen