Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What helped you most in the early weeks?

Default Re: What helped you most in the early weeks?

lightly scented hand lotion, cuticle oil and nail files. i washed my hands so many times they began drying out really bad. i'd sit around bfing for hours staring at oh-so unhealthy looking hands and fingers. my husband bought me a manicure kit in december and it was so nice to sit down and pamper myself for five minutes.

This is a great thread!

I echo the bottle of water suggestion--how about a case of 1-liter bottles? I ended up stashing them all over the house where I was likely to nurse since I'd get settled and then get thirsty. How about some lip balm? I noticed that my lips were so dry when I came home from the hospital.

If your friend has a rocker or glider already the Boppy pillow for rockers is super. It has a nice pocket for the remote, snacks (Clif bars for me), a burp cloth, whatever. I also kept a cheesy paperback mystery in there for 1-handed reading. My baby was one of those marathon nursers.

A friend of mine got me some nice pajamas to lounge in, which was great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mami_Kathy
    Also try to get her something not BF, so she doesn't think you're just trying to push BF on her, like one of those funny motherhood book.
    Oh, she's bf - it's just what her family does. And I think she sees it as a budget friendly option. She's not gung-ho about it, but then neither was I until after I started!

She has a hospital style electric she's borrowing from a friend, but I was thinking of getting her a small hand pump. I haven't used electric, but it seems like it's more suited to when she'll be pumping when she goes back to work. She doesn't realize that she might need a simpler one to pump off engotgement so the baby can latch on, for example, or just to give her nipples a break.

Or will she be fine with just an electric?

I was wondering if she was going back to work--a book I loved was Nursing Mother, Working Mother. Shout wipes are great to have in the office (a tip I got from here) for little milk spills when pumping.

I keep an electric pump in the office and the Avent Isis at home. It's good for when I work from home or when I come back engorged from an evening out. I use it much more than I thought I would.

I would like to add a recommendation on a book.
    I found The "Girlfriend's Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood" by Vicki Iovene immensely helpful for getting me through the sleepless nights and mood swings.

This is a fab thread, it takes me back! I'd say snacks and more snacks (I had serious munchies especially in the night), vitamin tablets for breastfeeding mums (no idea if they do anything but made me feel better!), pretty notebook for jotting sleep-deprived ramblings (that helped me), also echo the idea about any little treats to make her feel good.

My breastfeeding nurse in the hospital suggested using extra virgin olive oil on my nipples instead of the lanolin. It is completely safe for the baby and you do not need to wash it off. This is my fourth child for breastfeeding and I finally do NOT have sore, cracked nipples. I really think it is due to my using the olive oil. Make sure your friend has some good nursing pads for leakage too.

how about polysporin - it saved me.

I received two nursing nightgowns with matching one for the baby...TOO CUTE. Also some healthy easy to grab snacks and meals.

Quote Originally Posted by tookie406
    I received two nursing nightgowns with matching one for the baby...TOO CUTE. Also some healthy easy to grab snacks and meals.
    Uuh, I got 3 of those, they're so cute!