Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What helped you most in the early weeks?

Default Re: What helped you most in the early weeks?

Definatly a BF pillow and maybe a nursing stool would be nice. A bottle of Motrin, for this will help her after delivery and will not go through the bM.

I was going to say movies too, because I spent a lot of those first 6 weeks just vegging on the couch watching movies while DS just sucked away.

These are great ideas for a baby shower gift by the way...I'll have to remember them when one of my friends gets pregnant. I sure could have used some of this stuff instead of yet another receiving blanket!!
    First time Mommy to Alexander - Born Jan 15, 2006

Pillows ... I never bought a nursing pillow .... but my husband running to kohls and buying 6 new pillows was great. One for my back, between my legs, under my head, under the baby, across my lap........

Water bottle. How fun..... I get tired of refilling a large cup all the time. So I bought a pitcher and matching glasses... cutsie ones... I know the cute part is pointless..... it makees me drink more though

How about those tank tops (cheap at target)... tank top w/ a bra installed. I love mine at night ... Just take off a strap and thats it ...

Disposable pads - Great.... Those suckers never stay in place at night though ... my boobs will come together as I lay on my side to watch the baby ... I use her burp clothes now... Folded into a big square to cover all the leakage I got through at night

A friend of mine gave me a boobie care box...she also included some milk storage bags and some breastfeeding mother's tea. Also some soothies and the breast therapy pads (I think Gerber makes them). She also got me the pocket guide to the Nursing Mother's Companion; I already had the book but the pocket guide was great to take to the hospital.

Breast Shells combo pack one to catch milk one to sooth sore nipple. They are graet for when milk first comes in

Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies! I'm seeing her on Friday maybe for the last time before she delivers, so keep the ideas coming!

Sorry about the spelling ladies. I am non-functional right now.

The Nursing Mother's Companion has been my life saver! Even if she doesn't read, it has short sections that you can read to try and tackle whatever the problem of the day is.

I dnt know if u can organize this but i have a friend who is a nail tech. It is great to have everything u need for ur baby but lil things like washing ur hair and cutting ur nails sumtimes seem way too hard. How about a voucher for some1 to come over and gice her a pedicure or manicure whilst she is feeding ? a well deserved reward i say and it made me feel alot beter

My two favorite books are The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and The Nursing Mother's Companion. An inexpensive and great book for those that don't like reading is Why Should I Nurse My Baby is very short and simple, I'm going to get that one for my SIL and a few LLL pamphlets. Also try to get her something not BF, so she doesn't think you're just trying to push BF on her, like one of those funny motherhood book.