Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What helped you most in the early weeks?

Default What helped you most in the early weeks?

I'm putting together a "boobie care kit" for my best friend who's due in a few weeks. Since I know she won't listen to my advice, I'm getting her stuff myself. I don't know what bf will be like for her, but I think it's wise to be prepared and I hope this will get her started. I've already included:

a bravado nursing bra
    lansinoh lanolin
    lansinoh ultra soft breast pads
    those hot/cold breast gel packs

any other suggestions? (Personally, I loved the codine & motrine combo they gave me at the hospital. I didn't know nipple pain until I stopped taking them!!!)

Default Re: What helped you most in the early weeks?

Soothies for your nipples and a book about breastfeeding!

got the first one already. I thought of a book, but the girl does not read! I may throw one of mine in there anyway.

How about a large plastic cup to keep nearby filled with water and some soothing CD's.

hmmm, not a bad idea. Maybe I'll include a sports bottle of water to remind her that bf is thirsty, thirsty work. Thanks!

Does she use the internet? How about a list of good breastfeeding websites -- LLL and these boards, of course, but also kellymom.com and other favorites. Maybe good sites about how to use a sling? I like kangarookorner.com, for example.

I'm infamous for giving Lansinoh and disposable breast pads as baby shower gifts! It's only the 2nd-time moms who understand, and thank me for a gift that is actually USEFUL. I think you're doing a wonderful thing.

--Rebecca

A nursing necklace?

All those sound great! I had a 2x mom give me breast-care things and I didn't know how wonderful it was til I started using them.

Tina

I was just sitting in the other room, when it dawned on me... duh! What really helped me most in the early weeks was my My Breast Friend nursing pillow. I dunno what your budget is for the gift...

Maybe add in a nursing bra for sleeping. The Motherhood sleeping bra I got was really comfortable.

I like the idea of water, and I might even throw in a few snacks - man, was I hungry in those first weeks, and my dd wouldn't let me out of the chair! Also, a good DVD is nice - when I was tired of reading while marathon nursing, I would watch movies.
    Of course, all the other breast feeding supplies sound great too! I personally wish I would have had even a small manual pump during the first couple of weeks for the engorgement.