Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frequent nursing at 5 months

Question Frequent nursing at 5 months

My baby nurses every 1-1/2 to 2 hours. This is not new...it has been this way since bb was born. I am wondering if this is common. Is this a sign that bb is ready for food? Or have I "over-nursed" bb? I get the "you are spoiling bb" all the time. I have also heard that nursing a child is the "easy" way out and a child should be calmed and distracted in other ways. Please help. Your suggestions and personal stories are welcome.

Default Re: Frequent nursing at 5 months

I wouldn't call nursing an "easy way out" for sure! And, no, nursing your baby is NOT spoiling him. I always was comforted by this resource: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spoil.html

It's normal for babies to nurse that frequently. As long as your baby is gaining and growing you have nothing to worry about. You will find as your baby gets older and more aware of his surroundings that his desire to nurse will slowly decline. It won't be long before these frequent nursing days are far behind you! Enjoy them while they last.

Good luck!

Talking Re: Frequent nursing at 5 months

My dd is the exacty same sometimes worse but some days are beginning to get a litle bit better hang in there i know how hard it is . I just try and have plenty of fluids and books to read bc the tv is out of bounds bc my ds has cartoons on all day so just rest and relax i too have heard it gets better so they all cant be wrong Keep up the good work

Oh my goodness. I came on here to post the VERY SAME question! Great minds think alike

My 5 month old nurses every 3-4 hours. He has been this way since he was first born also, although I think it may have gotten worse. Before it was every 4 hours consistently, now it is down to every 3 hours. Sometimes every 2.5 hours during the day. I feel like a walking zombie waking up several times a night to nurse him. I think that sometimes he wakes up during the night and can't get himself back to sleep---unless I nurse him back to sleep I know, bad. But, he will eat when it I offer him a breast. He has NEVER refused! So, back to the age old question: Will babies eat even when they aren't hungry?!?!?

He's also been waking up more frequently during the night because eczema just developed on his forehead and he keeps rubbing. So, he wakes up from the itching and then can't get himself back to sleep. I've also gone back to swaddling him a night to keep him from rubbing his forehead.

firstly, yep, this is quite withing the range of normal. some babies eat fast and are done with a feeding in minutes, others linger over their meals.
    bm is very easy to digest, so babys with a good digestion will have 'finished' the ebm pretty quickly and be ready for more in no time.
    what to do? its normal!
    and yes, babies will nurse even when they aren't hungry. they may be thirsty
    or they may be comfort nursing - just sucking for the love and warmth of being close to mama. the good thing about comfort nursing is that baby does get a little milk from this, and it's usualy the more rich, fatty hind milk that helps babies grow and thrive.
    frequent feedings are also the best way to keep milk supplies up, so keep up the good work!
    and Congratulations! you're doing it the "easy way", best for baby, best for you.
    If anyone tries to tell you you're "spoiling" your baby, just smile and say thank you.