Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Traveling on a plane? Advice

Default Traveling on a plane? Advice

Hello ladies,

I'm going to be traveling to visit my sister in January and I'm taking my lo, 4mo. I was wondering if you guys had any advice on making this trip a little bit easier.

What I'm really worried about is that my lo wont latch on unless hungry. I know they're supposed to latch on during landing and take off. He doesn't take a paci and like I said unless he's hungry. But the complicated part is that I'm not sure when my baby is going to be hungry bc he used to eat every 2 hours but suddenly after his vaccines he would sort of snack every 4-5 hours. He's starting to eat every 2 hours again but wont eat if there is something interesting going on around him. And he doesn't seem to like being under a blanket anymore! Of course I've considered making him hungry, but then if he gets so upset he'll cry and I have to get him to calm down and coax him to eat so... there seems to be a complication for everything!

Any help/ ideas will be so so appreciated!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Faerie Fertile Guest

Default Re: Traveling on a plane? Advice

Does he comfort nurse at all? If so, the new environment and strange noises might make nursing more interesting for him.

Is he in the serious distractible stage? Maybe try a nursing necklace to help him keep his focus?

We few when DS was about that age and he didn't want to nurse when taking off, but was fine. It didn't seem to bother his ears at all.

No, no comfort nursing any more Gone are those days when he would get upset and I could easily make him feel better. Now he'll freak out and cry and has to be walked around, carrying him is not enough..which is why I'm just having visions of him freaking out during take off, I can't walk around the plane at that time!

With the many times that I've flown with my LOs I've never had any problems with their ears during take off or landing. Of course all kids are different.

Does he have a toy or blankie that he likes to chew on? That might help some. I remember flying with Elijah for the first time by myself. He was 3 months old and I was so worried he would cry the entire time. Thankfully he was a little angel.

One thing I would suggest if you are not comfortable with nursing in such close quarters would be to wear a nursing cami under your shirt. That way you don't have to worry about so much skin.

Also once everyone is situated on the plane ask the flight attendent if there are any available empty seats (like two beside each other). Definitely make sure you have an aisle seat so that if he does start to fuss you don't have to climb over laps to get up.

Slings work great on planes so that you can have your hands free for diaper bags and such.

Good luck!
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

That's a great idea! He loves to bite and suck on anything! I feel more relieved now. I have a wrap but have no idea how to nurse in it so I'm going to order a ring sling, hopefully it will get here in time.

I sat by the window with my husband next to me. By leaning forward and turning slightly he was my privacy wall when needed. During take off/landing everyone has to remain seated so latching/unlatching can be accomplished without many observing. Good luck!

Bring your boppy pillow if you have one or any small pillow. My DD was also 4 months when we took her from Seattle to DC ( long flight ), she did better that I expected, and during that time she was getting very fussy and it was getting harder to put her down to sleep, so I was also freaking out, but I don't know what it is about planes that just put them to sleep ( speed? sound? ). So, don't worry!!!

Luca was 7 months when we flew and basically we kept him up while at the airport, spread out a blanket and some toys in the terminal and played just like at home. He got fussy when we boarded because he was tired and hungry but we held him out until takeoff, he nursed then slept the first 1 1/2 hours of the flight. The frustrating thing is when the plane starts to move and you think it is taking off soon and get ready to nurse but then it stops again. Don't nurse until it starts going fast. I wanted to make sure to nurse because I have terrible problems with my ears and did not want to take any chances!
    Hope this helps!
    Courtney
    Mom to Luca 4/16/07

Im about to do a 25 hour flight with my 7 month old. I have this as my secret weapon

http://www.kiddlywinks.com/IBS/Simpl.../36725087.html

I have shown it too him a few times when he has been seriously kicking off and it is like magic. I think its the vibration. Its also silent, the other passengers should appreciate that!!! I flew with Ash at 5 months and he was fine, we may have well have been on a bus. I, however, was a bundle of nerves!
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.