Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think he's done

Default I think he's done

Well, I've been tandem nursing my soon to be 3 year old (40 lbs.)and my infant, and hating it. It wasn't bad at first as my toddler was only nursing before bed for 5 minutes or so. About 3 weeks ago, he started asking all the time no matter where we were. I actually had to take him into the bathroom at a restaurant last week and nurse him because he was screaming and would not give it up. Recently it's also become painful, whether it's just a really strong suck or teeth, I don't know. So on Sunday the 23rd, I decided that was it, I was done. I have to admit, after the first day, he still asked, but didn't give me a hard time when I reminded him that mama milk is just for baby Linus now. I am a staunch advocate of child-led weaning, and never imagined I would initiate weaning before I felt he was ready. I feel a little guilty, and a little sad about closing that chapter. Luckily I have another nursing baby, otherwise I would be a big sopping mess.
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

Default Re: I think he's done

The breastfeeding relationship needs to meet the needs of both mama and child.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    The breastfeeding relationship needs to meet the needs of both mama and child.
    I know, you're right, but with my 1st, he did it all by himself at 2 1/2. Last night as I sat on his bed to read him a story, he looked at me with a very coy look and barely whispered "I have mama milk?". I said "hmm?" and he said "nufing...wet's wead". I guess he's ready on some level, or he wouldn't be so cooperative.
    Thanks for the
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

I'm sorry, that's hard.
    My 3 year old didn't ask for a couple nights because he went to sleep with Daddy. So I had dh put him to sleep for a week so he wouldn't ask He asked a couple times during the day when he really needed a drink or was hungry so that was easy to get through. Then I put him to bed last night and he asked. I said "oh, we don't need to nurse" he then started to cry and I said "Can't I just love you and squeeze you?" That made him laugh Then I sang to him and he fell asleep on his own. I really wanted child-led weaning too, but I guess I"m doing semi-child-led weaning. If he had been sincerely upset or adament about it I was going to nurse him. I've been very happy all week about it. One morning he woke up and just hugged and hugged me for the longest time. I was waiting for him to request "mum, mums" but the question never came. I LOVED it. It's nice to be seen as something other than a boob (which is how I have felt OFTEN ) Anyway, my breasts have been fine until yesterday and today. Now they feel sore. And I feel like I guess that is a normal feeling. Would my hormones be changing and making me cry or am I just thinking about it too much? I couldn't be making much milk so I wonder if my hormonal levels will change much? Do you know?
    Good luck
    Last edited by RachaelVashti; December 27th, 2007 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RachaelVashti View Post
    I really wanted child-led weaning too, but I guess I"m doing semi-child-led weaning. If he had been sincerely upset or adament about it I was going to nurse him.

Sending baby vibes for you.
    Jill