Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the verge.

Default On the verge.

Tomorrow is DS's 1st Birthday!!!!!!!

I want to wean from pumping, so what do I give him instead? I gave him a little bit of milk 9like less than an once) and his got SOFT, but he is also getting over a cold so who knows what caused what, KWIM? So do I give him more when his cold is gone?? I REALLY want to stop pumping. I don't mind nursing the rest of the time....I plan on a don't pffer don't refuse at home and DH is totally on board, but for those that don't know...Pumping sucks!!! any thoughts?
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Default Re: On the verge.

Is he eating solids? If so then I would just have that fed to him during the day and nurse when you are home (he will fill in the gaps in his diet that way). But you might want to cut out pumpings gradually so you don't get engorged, plugged ducts, mastitis, etc. HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Is he eating solids? If so then I would just have that fed to him during the day and nurse when you are home (he will fill in the gaps in his diet that way). But you might want to cut out pumpings gradually so you don't get engorged, plugged ducts, mastitis, etc. HTH!
    he doesn't need any during the day??? He isn't the best eater....eats great one meal bad for three....kwim??

I would like to slowly wean him completely over the next few months....

I totally get the gradual fromt he pump....ouch otherwise..thanx for the reminder
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

No advice, but I wanted to make sure you update when you decide what to do. I HATE the pump and my lo is 10 months. I'd love to ditch the work pumpings at a year, too. So, LMK and Good Luck!!!

Amy

When I quit pumping I started sending formula for a few weeks, since dd wouldn't take cow's milk. After a few weeks thay said she wasn't drinking the formula so I sent bottles and they put milk in them (since she wasn't drinking it from the sippy). A few weeks after that they said she wasn't taking the bottles so I stopped sending them as well. She still doesn't drink much milk, but we provide her with lots of calcium-rich foods like cheese, yogurt, various greens, spinach, brocolli, beans...

She still nurses a lot at night, too, so I'm not concerned with how much milk she drinks.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

oh ok.....so if i get him to eat cheese and stuff water would be fine for fluids?? what about the fat they need for brain dev.....where do i get that? sorry, this is a new chapter for me and I haven't had a lot of research time....any books u suggest??
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

It is common for BF babies to "reverse-cycle" and make up for lost nursing time at night, or just because they are distracted during the day. This is what my DD was kind of doing anyway (she didn't much like bottles and I appreciate being preferred over plastic ) so it makes sense that when they have solids to help tide them over it's even easier to wait for Mom.

Water is all DD will take from a sippy, but she drinks only little bits at a time (1-2 oz). She's never had a problem getting enough fluids. Of course I also nurse her at lunchtime too so that might make a difference, but she's often so distracted I don't think she gets a whole lot then either. I think if you are slowly weaning from the pump over the next few months he will be more than old enough to handle it. As far as a great book, I just read "My Child Won't Eat!" and I think it would be comforting for you to know how much your LO actually needs to eat and how great nursing is to fill in the gaps, KWIM?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I started supplementing with formual (yuk!) at 10 months. We had to try 3 kinds before finding one my dd would drink. Some of that stuff smells and tastes aweful!

I still BF too, but I also mixed bm & formula to help with the taste at first. This might help your lo .

I was wondering the same thing and had found a thread on here awhile back that helped me. The one poster said to slowly change the expressed BM over to milk. By doing 75% BM and 25% milk in bottle for a week or two and then 50% BM and 50% milk for a week or two and so forth. You can also do this with your pumping. If you are pumping three times a day, stop one for a week or two and so forth until you are weaned from the pump. I have not started this process as DS has been sicka dn dr. said it isn't a good time to introduce dairy. So unfortunately I can not give personal experience but let me know if it works for you.
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I think I will try the milk thing.....sounds reasonable
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06