Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wet diapers

Default Re: wet diapers

thanks for the support!
    i know it may sound crazy but my husband and i are considering purchasing a small digital scale to weigh her with before and after feedings. last night i tried massaging my breasts more during her feedings, as well as skin on skin feeding and that seemed to stimulate her pretty well--i supplemented at two of her night feedings and she drank less than 1oz. each time.
    yes, when she was weighed it was on the same scale but at different times of day. she also had a bm and wet diaper right before being weighed.

heatherama wrote:
    i asked him about pumping and he said that wouldn't help, he also said that her suck might not be good and that supplementing would help improve it.

I'm confused by this doctor's statement. The more stimulation your breasts have, the more milk you will make, so if there is any concern about your milk supply (or the need to have "extra" for supplementation), then pumping in addition to nursing should help.

If you are supplementing with a bottle, how does he think that will improve her suck technique? The baby uses her tongue and mouth very differently when nursing at the breast vs taking milk from a bottle. Has he referred you to an IBCLC lactation consultant or an LLL Leader to help evaluate your baby's suck?

It is very important to stay in touch with your child's doctor, especially when you have concerns about your baby. I point out the above not to "bash" your doctor, but to help you think of questions to ask (it's so hard to think coherently when you've recently given birth *and* you're worried about your baby). My experience is that many pediatricians are great doctors, but they have almost no breastfeeding experience or training. Sometimes we as moms have to remind our doctors how important breastfeeding is to us. It's OK to ask if there are other alternatives or other resources (like LLL for breastfeeding). It's OK to ask the doctor where he is getting his information.

You know, it really sounds like you are doing well with your daughter. You have gotten some great information in other posts here and you are wise to stay on top of the situation. Have you contacted a local LLL Leader? Just talking "real time" with a Leader may help, and if you can meet in person that may ease your mind even more. Don't be afraid to hold your baby a lot, especially skin to skin (your bare skin to her bare skin). Newborns should nurse at least 8 to 12 times in 24 hours, so more frequent nursing is certainly OK. As long as she is creating enough wet and soiled diapers, that is a good sign. One way to count easily is to have two baskets in your changing area. Toss the wets in one and the poopies in another. It's then easy to tally them the next day.

Hang in there, keep in touch with your pediatrician, don't be afraid to ask questions, and enjoy your baby!

Dawn

thanks dawn!
    yeah i was really confused about what he said about her suck because everything i've read indicates that pumping would help with stimulation.
    also he's not my regular pediatrician, just another doctor in the office.
    i was very turned off by the fact that he didn't even examine my daughter, he just read her chart and was out of the room in five minutes. i don't plan on seeing this particular doctor again and when i do return this coming thursday(to her regular physician,) i'm going to let him know what i've been doing and how good her output has been. thank you all for your help. a friend of mine works at the health department and she knows how i can get in touch with a local LLL group in our area and i plan on contacting someone monday.
    thanks again!

When do "most women" get their milk after birth? For me, it was typically DAY THREE. With my first-born the nurses encouraged me to let them suppliment and I said NO but agreed to let them give him water. I worried that I'd made a decision to weaken my newborn baby, but later was sure I'd made the right decision. Given the chance to do it again, I would say no to the water, too.

The small bit of valuable colostrom after birth seems adeaquate, especially after reading the above comments. I'm also certain that supplimenting would endanger my ability to establish adequate breastmilk supplying in the critical early days of feeding.

All 5 of my children lost weight after birth, which I've been told by many doctors and several midwifes - is normal. Perhaps they do not all agree! My last baby was large and lost an entire pound. She is 2 mos now and doing fine - growing fat. The nurse who did her two week check out was concerned that she weighed the same as at birth (we're talking over 9 lbs here) but a pediatrician had told with one of my first kids that often they loose than regain typically by their 2 week checkout which is how it has been for mine.

I like the 6 wet diapers check because it measures whats happening daily and is widely accepted. Makes me mad how many times a health care providers have made me feel insecure by their lack of information on breastfed newborns.

update:
    i supplemented only at a few night feedings and i had moved to 2 hour feedings. i also pumped with a manual breastpump and used that to supplement after feedings.
    my daughter will be 3 wks tomorrow and today she was weighed and gained 12 1/2 oz. since last thursday! i feel so much better about bfing now and i am purchasing an electric pump to supplement with breastmilk only after feedings when necessary! thanks for everyone's input, it really helped!!

Thanks for the update! We are always glad to hear how things are going... and in this case it sounds pretty good! Keep up the good work!