Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wet diapers

Default wet diapers

my daughter is only 5 days old and doesn't have the 'average' of wet diapers she's suppose to have(according to everything i've read, at least.)
    my milk did come him late and i was told to supplement due to the fact that she lost weight after birth but now i'm constantly worried she's not getting what she needs.
    is it normal for her to only have one or two a day sometimes? yesterday she had 4 and she has yet to have a wet diaper today, only stool.

Default Re: wet diapers

Congratulations on the birth of your new little daughter! I can see you are very concerned about her output.

Wet diapers in a newborn is an important indicator in milk intake. But before you get too upset, let me ask you a couple of things. What type of diapers are you using? It is much easier to see wetness in cloth than in disposable, because disposable diapers wick the moisture away and it absorbs into those little gel crystals inside the diaper. Have you tried actually tearing or cutting the diaper apart to see if there is wetness inside? Also, to get an accurate feel for wetness, you can take a dry diaper and dump 1 or 2 ounces of water in it to see what that feels like.

LLLI states that it is normal for a baby to have one or two wet diapers the first two days after birth. By the third or fourth day wet diapers should increase so that after 5 days a baby should have 5-6 wet disposable diapers a day (6-8 cloth).

It sounds like your dd had plenty of wet diapers yesterday. Could you have miscounted today? Are you still supplementing? If so, what method are you using? Is she actively nursing (do you see her jaw wiggle and hear her swallowing?)

Have her BM's changed in color at all? By this point, they should be changing color from the first dark, tarry stools (meconium) to greenish and then yellowish. Some babies are off by a little on this timing. But this is what is expected for babies at this stage.

Let us know how things are going for you,

thanks, i am very excited and concerned about her all of the time!
    we are using disposable diapers and starting tomorrow i am going to try what you suggested--testing for wetness and cutting the diapers.
    i am still supplementing and i nurse her on one side until she either dozes off completely(she is a sleepy eater and i am constantly having to stimulate her so she will stay awake) or until my breast is pliable. i burp and offer her the next and after that i begin supplementing. she averages about 1/2 an oz. of formula but majority of the time she will spit up shortly after i supplement which leads me to believe she's overeating.
    i could have miscounted since she sleeps throughout the day and is awake mainly at night. her bowel momevements just turned orange and are very wet. she seems to have a bm everytime i nurse her.
    she has a checkup with her pediatrician today because he was concerned about her weight and i think i'll rest a little easier once that is over with and things go fine.
    thank you for your wisdom!! i will keep you posted.

You are right to consider that maybe your daughter is being overfed with the supplemental formula. It is sometimes helpful to consider that the size of a newborn's stomach is VERY small. At 3 days it is about the size of a shooter marble or small walnut and by 10 days it has grown to the size of a ping-pong ball. After that we typically tell moms to picture their baby's belly as the size of their little fist! That is why frequent small feedings work better for babies. Your daughter is still somewhere in between these two sizes. You can see how an additional 1/2 oz. of formula could be a lot for her after she has already nursed!

Have you tried putting your daughter skin-to-skin for feedings? Undress her down to her diaper and take your shirt and bra off as well. This sometimes helps stimulate young babies to feed more actively. Also, you could try using breast compressions to keep her interested. After she begins nursing, hold your breast (back away from the areola) with thumb on one side and four fingers on the other side. Gently squeeze to increase the amount of milk she gets when she sucks. Rotate your hand around to hit different parts of the breast. Just be careful not to disengage or distort her latch in anyway.

Instead of supplementing with formula, have you considered supplementing her with your own milk? You could pump or manually express milk. Often just the additional supplementation of a small amount can affect the time your newborn spends at the breast and also teaches her that milk comes more quickly from the bottle. Could you try leaving her on the breast longer and encouraging her to nurse more with the suggestions above? Let me know if this might work for you. I hope you have a fruitful visit to the doctor today. Keep us posted!

It was suggested that I put a gauze square in my newborn's diaper so it would be easier to tell when she wet it. That worked very well, as did breast compression. Good luck!

heatherama,

I went through the same thing with my son. He lost a little over 8% of his body weight in the first 5 days. He was having adequate wet and soiled diapers. I found though once my stress from him being put back into the hospital after being let out just 3 days before he went back in he started to gain alot of weight. Since about the second week he has gained almost a pound a week except for one maybe. He went from 6lbs 9oz to about 11lbs in a matter of 5 wks. So just take a few breathers and relax don't worry so much about the weight. Eventually the weight will come.

mother of three
    Blake 05/30/02
    Hailey 10/02/03
    Cole 10/08/05

she had a routine check up yesterday afternoon and had already re-gained 2 oz. i guess being new to motherhood and nursing was making me super paranoid.
    i tried the compression some of you recommended at her first feeding this morning and it seemed to keep her more interested in nursing. i also tried wetting a diaper down with 1 oz of fluid and the diaper seemed to absorb almost all of it. i also let it sit for a few minutes and checked it later and it really seems like it was the diapers that were causing my miscount.
    sylvia has another check up in a week to check on her weight gain.

I am so glad you are feeling better about things! I hope you continue to feel good about BF and your baby continues to do well! Great News!!!!

my daughter had a weekly check up to see how much weight she was gaining and i stopped supplemented for that week and she only gained 2 oz. so her pediatrician wants me to supplement again and wants to see her again next week. i asked him about pumping and he said that wouldn't help, he also said that her suck might not be good and that supplementing would help improve it.
    i supplemented when i got home from the doctor today after feeding her from both breasts--she fed for about an hour and she only drank about 1/2 oz of the formula. i know i should do what my doctor recommends but a friend of mine who works for the health department recommended i switch to 2 hr feedings instead of just feeding her whenever she wants(which at night could be close to 4 hrs.) would waking her up to eat every two hours do the trick? because i really don't want to supplement.
    also this past week w/out supplement she had around 5-6 wets a day and 4-5 bm.

Keep in mind that your breastmilk has more calories than formula so it would only make sense to supplement with EBM rather than formula. Pumping your breasts will give your breasts some of the stimulation they need in order to produce enough milk.

That said, if your baby is slow to gain then yes, it would probably help if you tried to get her to nurse every 1-2 hours including throughout the night, rather than waiting for her to wake every 4 hours.

Something else to consider too -- rather than supplementing her with 1/2 oz of formula, why not switch her back to the first breast after she's nursed on both sides?

The 5-6 wet diapers she had + the 4-5 bm's are right on the money

When baby has been weighed, has it been on the exact same scale? If not then you really can't be certain of those weight checks. Baby needs to be weighed on the same scale, preferrably at the same time of day.

It sounds like you're doing a good job. Try not to underestimate the power of your own instincts Keep up the great work, Mama!