Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it the pump or is it me?

Default Is it the pump or is it me?

For the past month, I have been trying to occasionally pump out an extra feeding 2-month-old dd for use for bottles. At first, I was able to pump a pretty good amount, maybe 3-4 oz. Now it's an effort just to get 2! I usually will pump after she is given the bottle and also sometimes in the morning since she's sleeping longer stretches at night. She sucks down a 5 oz bottle with no problem, will need more soon I suspect, but it takes several pumpings just to get one bottle. I use an Evenflo single electric pump. Anyone have any ideas? Is it the pump or is it me?

Default Re: Is it the pump or is it me?

Would it be possible to call your local hospital and ask to use their pump once to see your output? This may rule out your or the pump.

Default Re: Is it the pump or is it me?

I pump every day (I work full-time), and some days are better than others in terms of pumping for me. Sometimes I can wait four hours and get only two ounces, while other times I pump every two hours and get four ounces at each session! There doesn't really seem to be much rhyme or reason to it, so it can be frustrating. I use the Medela PIS. The only thing that I've found that works consistanly for me is to drink A LOT of water - I try to drink about a gallon a day. On the days that I do, it's much easier to express lots o' milk. HTH!