Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby not doing well with solids

Default baby not doing well with solids

Well, everyone was such a big help before, I figured I would come with another question. My DS is almost 6 mo now. Around 5 mo we would experiment with some cereal, etc. He started eating really well about 2 weeks ago, so we started feeding him more and trying more. We have noticed that baby food doesn't seem to agree with him. He will spit up a lot more than usual, sometimes has stomach pain(we think), and is constipated. I am thinking his system is still not ready for solids. Should I go back to just BF? Yesterday he had a little oatmeal and today we did try prunes since he was having so much trouble going potty.

The major thing is that he seems to want to eat. I gave him a few small bites of bread today and he did great, chewing them and everything. He also does great with a sippy cup already. He has always had a fairly senstive stomach, but the ped never figured out why. It wasn't a real big issue, so I haven't worried about it. Is there something really easy on his tummy that I can give him. When can they start trying things like cheerios?

I am just kinda confused on what to do. Any help would be great.

Default Re: baby not doing well with solids

its ok to go back to just breastfeeding.
    Some kids just cann't handle much cereal its very binding!
    breastmilk has more callories and has beter fats the most "baby food" solids.
    heres a link about baby lead solids
    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

Part of the reason for delaying solids is that some LOs tummies just can't handle them yet. I can understand you wanting to feed food to your LO, since he's showing interest. But if he's in pain after eating them, that's no good, either! I'd take a step back and keep nursing for another couple of weeks.

As far as cheerios go, you can feed them when you feel he's ready. 7 months is a great age to start those--once he can pick them up himself and sit up well in a chair.

Well, we have decided to go back to just BF. I will give him a sippy cup for fun, but that is it. I was kinda worried that he would be hungry, but I will just nurse him more.

Anyway, we had a horrible night. He was up every hour or 2. Don't know what is going on. He is still constipated, spitting up more than usual also. We think he might be starting to get a tooth. Who know's.

Smile Re: baby not doing well with solids

I started solids with my lo at 5.5 months- she was so into it and loves solids as well as breastmilk. She is a happy spitter - well after we started the solids she went from spitting up 10-20 times a day to spitting up 30-40 times a day.. it was ridiculous... so we stopped and went back to EBF... her spitting up decreased and she is back to the 10-20 times a day. She will be 7 months next week and she is doing fine on BM... I will probably try feeding her again around 9 months and if it doesn;t work we will try at 12 months... sometimes I worry that she is "behind" because I hear of all these babies her age eating 3 meals and snacks everyday but then I remind myself that Breastmilk is more than adequete. GOOD LUCK!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    its ok to go back to just breastfeeding.
    Some kids just cann't handle much cereal its very binding!
    breastmilk has more callories and has beter fats the most "baby food" solids.
    heres a link about baby lead solids
    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

I think going back to breastmilk is a good idea.
    Follow his lead.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

He has done well today with only breastmilk, spitting up only a little. He seems to be doing fine, so I will just go with him. I think I will go more with the baby lead solids, but do need to look into it a little more. Thanks for all the info.

One thing I noticed with Luke is that he spit up alot more when I nursed and then immediately gave solids. If we waited 30-60 mins after nursing to eat solids he kept it all down alot better.

When you start back with solids you might want to balance out the fiber with more meat, fats, broth, yogurt, etc. This should help the constipation (at least it's what worked for DD).

Has he had a poop yet? How long has it been?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

He pooped 2 days ago, but nothing since then. I am hoping his system will be better soon with just the breastmilk. I was mixing his fruit with cereal and breastmilk hoping that would make it a little easier on his tummy. I think if I go back to baby food I will try only a few spoonfuls at a time.

He is doing so much better now, if I could just get him to sleep again. Any ideas why he is having so much trouble sleeping? He used to sleep 12-13 hours waking 2-3 times to feed, and then go right back. Now he is up every 2hours or so and doesn't want to go back down.