Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are bf babies just not big on sippy cups?

Default are bf babies just not big on sippy cups?

I offer the nuby kind to my lo, but she's just not feeling it. I don't push her, so most times, I allow her to play with it. I've tried offering half her milk from the bottle and the other half from the cup, but she won't drink it. After a year I'll try one with a straw...I guess?

It's just crazy how there's more pressure not for babies to use cups by a certain age, when they weren't even around years ago.

Default Re: are bf babies just not big on sippy cups?

Some babies in general resist sippies. My bottlefed daughter wouldn't have anything to do with one until she was over a year. My breastfed son was using one at 5 months. I think its a personality thing. DD is very resistant to change, DS is a go-with-the-flow man. I have heard that sometimes bf babies prefer the straw kind because they don't understand the whole "you have to tip it" concept.

Quote Originally Posted by 07mommy View Post

It's just crazy how there's more pressure not for babies to use cups by a certain age, when they weren't even around years ago.
    And, yeah, I think that its nuts. I was so stressed when my doc scolded me because DD was 9 months and still drinking from a bottle. Whatev. Babies have a need to suck.
    Last edited by FluffyN; December 26th, 2007 at 08:35 PM.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

We are very happy that our son (11 months) is drinking (water) on a sippy cup with straw. Till now we had tryied bottle, glass, normal sippy cup.. but he seemed to chock and didn't manage to swallow properly.
    Maybe drinking from a straw (very soft, silicone) is more similar to breastfeed . Would you consider to try one before he turns 1?

Hi, My lo started drinking water out of my cup at 3 months. She loves to drink out of cups. Eventually she just took to a sippy without a stopper. It gets kinda messy but she loves it. Could you just try a cup and go from there?
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

We tried the Nubby too and he couldn't get the hang of it. I think they have to sort of bite down on those kind to get any liquid. I tried the Gerber Graduate with the handles, and he loves it. Easy for him to hold and he can get the water out now.

After to talking to some of my friends, I'm finding that their kids are very specific with their cups. Not any cup will do. Maybe try a different brand or style?
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Thankfully DS loved his sippy cup. What I did to get him used to it was to leave the stopper out of it and only give it to him in the highchair. It took him a bit to figure out how to suck on it since it's quite different from a nipple. Nibies were a fave of his b.c. he could just bite down on it. The other one was the Avent bottle with the sippy top. Good luck!
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

My DD will take a few sips from either kind, but for some reason I feel better about giving her the straw kind.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Thanks ladies..which straw kind do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by 07mommy View Post
    Thanks ladies..which straw kind do you recommend?
    Mine loves her sippy cup, we just started the straw kind. I like the playtex as the straw hides, its spill proof and it fits on her old playtex sippies, so the tops are interchangeable. Its got a few parts to clean but she likes it.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

DD won't take a sippy cup, bottle or a pacifier. Pretty much she is a all skin girl. My mom says that I never took a bottle or a sippy cup either and that I went straight from the boob to a regular cup when I was about 2 years old.
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"