Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Down the road...

Default Re: Down the road...

It does usually stay at 2 hour intervals but soon it will become second nature to you. Right now w/everything being new things could seem more overwhelming than they are but believe me once you both get it down life will continue to move at its regular pace. Your lo might take a while eating because he isn't doing it quite right yet. The longest time it took my son at that time was about 5min once he was latched on right. If he wasn't it would take 30min...Eventually you'll love it.

Congrats you new mommy!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

My baby is 4 months old now and I definitely remember being in the place you're describing. I had a lot of physical pain recovering from labor & delivery and was uncomfortable in EVERY single position (including side-lying) and I thought my little one was going to take 45+ minutes to eat forever and ever! Honestly, I never would have believed it if someone had told me what it's like now - he eats so quickly (5 minutes max, unless he is comfort-nursing to sleep), is big enough to pull into my lap without a pillow, and barely needs help latching so my arms/shoulder/back are more comfortable. I so look forward to our nursing sessions! Often I will try to stretch them longer to have an extra few quiet, snuggly moments. Seriously, though, I can barely believe I can say that now!

I remember when I thought I'd never get off the couch..for the first 3 months of DS life i felt like a milk factory, I felt sorry for the cows who have to get pumped every day. But yes, dear it does get better! Like the PP said, before you know it, baby will be too busy to nurse. That's why I like to take advantage of the evening bed time feedings.

In a few weeks, the sessions will get shorter and she will go 3 -4 hrs between feedings. The baby becomes more efficient at nursing and is done before you know it so hang in there. My baby is 11 weeks old and during the nighttime session he drinks for 10 minutes and is done and back to sleep. The first 2 months are the toughest but you are doing great! Keep it up!

First of all congratulations on your brand new baby! Also for BF.
    I think the advice you got about BF every 2 hours is wrong. BF babies are fed on cue which usually means all the time when they are newborn. 2 hours may be too long for going without a feeding for a newborn who has a tummy the size of a marble. So my first suggestion is BF whenever your baby takes it.
    This frequent BF usually lasts 6-8 weeks. After that the only time babies BF frequently is during growth spurts. Other than that they usually go up to 2-3 hours and get pretty efficient. But still until 6 months or so they usually need to BF 8-12 times every day (meaning every 24 hours.) After that it will gradually increase especially once they are on solids.

the first couple of months were a bit draining on me, but, he did get very efficient. When he was a newborn, I primarily pumped because he was such a long nurser. At about 8 weeks, I stopped pumping because it had gotten better. Now, at 9 months, he nurses for less than 10 minutes and he only does it 4-5 times a day. It's been like that for about 1.5 months. Don't worry. It gets so much easier. I remember feeling like my boobs were never going to feel the same, that I didn't know how I could ever get thru this whole nursing thing, but now, it is so easy. Hang in there. It's totally worth the effort!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)