Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down the road...

Default Down the road...

I'm feeling like a milk machine... a cow in fact! My LO is almost 2 weeks old. I have been told to feed him about 2 to 2.5 hours apart. As he gets older does it always stay this way? At what point to the feedings shorten in length and/or decrease in quantity? If they don't ... any pointers on making it not seem so LONGGGGGG?!

DS 12/13/07 nursed exclusively 15 mos!!

with DD Due April '10 - Looking forward to and DS having a new playmate!

~ Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~

Default Re: Down the road...

I really am not sure when it happened...but there will be a time when they start nursing for less and less. It seems impossible now, I'm sure! I remember wondering the same thing myself. My son at almost a year, will nurse every two hours if he could, but will only do it for a few minutes, and always just one breast at a time. But he can also go several hours too. Within a few weeks, your baby will become more efficient at emptying your breast. But there will be times (the dreaded growth spurts, or teething!!) that he will want to nurse every hour or two even when he is older.
    I guess I am saying, there really is no specific time. It will just happen, and you probably wont realize it until a few days later "hey he didnt nurse for 40 minutes.."
    Now is the toughest part I think. But it really and truly does get better/easier!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

It gets better! Hang in there! My DS nursed every 2 hours or more for the first year, but after the first couple of months it didn't seem so grueling. I remember breastfeeding feeling like it took so much energy when he was a newborn, but before long I could get him latched on and fed without even thinking about it. Keep up the good work, mama! It will get easier!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I actually miss some of those longer nursing sessions. Now-a-days it's 5 minutes tops. I barely get comfortable and she's done. The time inbetween nursings varies from 1 hour to 4. At least I can enjoy the longer, cuddly nursing as night. So... yes, yes, it gets better. Stick with it and you'll be where I am before you know it.

It will get easier as time goes by. But with nursing, the milk is digested quickly. Much quicker than formula (can I say that word on this forum )

When they get older they can empty the breast so much faster.
    Also, when food is introduced (and you really don't need to introduce food until 6 months if you want to), they tend to nurse less.

But, I know this seems long now. But when they start eating, there is so much more work than nursing. Reheat, make the food, clean up.
    Breast feeding is so much easier. Trust me, you will say the same.

And remember that nursing is such a short time when you put it in perspective. I miss it.

The first six weeks were very rough for me. All I did was sit and feed, and I am a milk machine! It gets better though. Hang in there, you are doing a great job!

You're doing great! Sit back in your favorite chair and relax and enjoy the time to get off your feet. Better yet, at about that time I learned the art of nursing while laying down and my son and I would take many a nap while laying down together.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

It does get better. I believe around 2-3 months, Nora started spacing her feedings out a little more and they got shorter. I took full advantage of those long feedings in the early days, though. I'd doze while I rocked her, or set up a comfy spot complete with tall glass of water and a snack and I'd read or watch a movie or tv show. You could also try side lying feeding and maybe take a nice nap while your baby nurses.

I know it seems like forever, but in 4 months when your child is distracted and popping on and off your boob and crawling around like a chicken with it's head cut off you will really cherish those quiet, private moments with your little angel.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I felt very much like you and it really does get better. I never believed but when my dd2 turned 16wks things changed. She now goes about three hr between feedings and vary from 5 min - 30min (+15min of suckling and getting milk). She is and has been very good at getting milk out.

So you are at two weeks and I remember feeling like a cow on two legs. There are days I still feel like a cow. If I can do it believe me you can to.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

with pps. This time doesn't last too long. You may feel like a cow now but at some point you'll just realise that your LO is not feeding for as long and not as often. DS is now almost 8 months and I love it when he nurses now. He pops on and off and usually nurses for about 5 mins total, except for bedtime and in the night. I would give anything for him to sit and nurse for half an hour like he did when he was tiny!! Put your feet up, recover and enjoy your LO. Well done and congrats on your little baby.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!