Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does this mean she's not ready?

Question Does this mean she's not ready?

I thought it would make is easier on my lo to wean just the one morning nursing session she will miss while I'm back at work coming January. Aside from solids, she was nursing:

-7-ish at wake-up
    -10:30-before nap
    -3-before nap
    -8-before bed
    -all through night-I'm sleeping, so not sure how much

The am nap session I have stopped doing almost 1.5 months ago, and we do lots of cuddles and rocking-BUT, she still cries, fusses and tugs at my shirt every time. Should it take her this long to get used to it? Or does this mean she just isn't ready? It tears me apart every time, but she won't take a sippy/bottle of EBM either and I do let her nurse as much as she wants after about 2:30-3, which is when I'll be home when I start work-but she doesn't really try to nurse more then. I knew this would be hard, but I had no idea how hard it would be both for me and I obviously for her too, based on her reaction.

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

Default Re: Does this mean she's not ready?

It doesn't sound like she's ready to me. I'm a little confused on why you are trying to wean? Are you doing this in anticipation of going back to work? If so, it is really a lot of unnecessary heartache. She will be able to (sort of) understand not being able to nurse when you are gone, but not being allowed to nurse when you are there feels like being rejected to her. Does that make sense?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    It doesn't sound like she's ready to me. I'm a little confused on why you are trying to wean? Are you doing this in anticipation of going back to work? If so, it is really a lot of unnecessary heartache. She will be able to (sort of) understand not being able to nurse when you are gone, but not being allowed to nurse when you are there feels like being rejected to her. Does that make sense?
    Yes, this is in anticipation of return to work...I guess I thought it would be easier on her if she was used to not having that one nursing session, but I'm now thinking you're right about the unnecessary heartache. Now I feel pretty bad about her feeling rejected. She seemed fine at first, but has progressively gotten more upset as the weeks have gone on. I know at her age, she isn't ready for weaning-either partial or full, and I suppose things wouldn't be this way if she was older and more ready for it. She's very booby attached and although I don't want to wean anytime soon, makes me wonder what she'll be like down the road

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

Don't feel bad; you're just doing the best you can with the information you have. As far as what she'll be like down the road - I wouldn't worry. It sounds like she is very smart to insist on being close to Mommy when you are around! I found the book "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" helpful on setting realistic expectations on how independent a LO "should" be. I know there was another book I read that made me feel like it's okay for them to be "booby attached" but I can't remember which one exactly. Maybe Dr. Sears or someone similar... Trust your instincts and try not to feel pressured by outside expectations that you are doing something wrong by raising an attached LO. You're doing great!

BTW I WOH too. It is hard but I am sooooo glad I have BFing to help us reconnect in evenings and my days off.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.