Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting!

Default Biting!

DD's two front bottom teeth came in in the last week. Since Sunday (when they second tooth appeared) she has bitten me 3 times! Ouch!
    I say "Ouch" (as a reaction) and then unlatch her and say "No". Well, twice when I did that she started crying Then it makes me sad But I know I need to stop this now.

Anyone have advice on anti-biting techniques that work???
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

Default Re: Biting!

When DD did this I immediately unlatched her and set her down away from me (just as far as my arms could reach). She might have started to cry (can't remember) and I would pick her up again. The point is to associate the fact that biting results in unpleasantness. But I'm not sure that's really what stopped her from biting. I think what helped more was:

1. Offer nursing less frequently. I think she was not hungry but I was on our "old" schedule. She had probably gotten more efficient and was busy doing other things when I would try to nurse her.
    2. Offer more things to chew on, especially before nursing. I tried to help numb her gums and just get her more comfortable before nursing. Frozen washcloths, ice in a mesh feeder, and other cold chewy toys are what worked for us. You can also try teething tablets by Hyland's (or others).
    3. Trying to anticipate the biting. I tried to figure out when she was most likely to bite. For us I think it was after the milk let down (when she wasn't hungry but liked the feeling on her gums), or at the end of the feeding when she was full. When I could sense she wanted to move on to something else or even feel the position of the nipple changing in her mouth, I would just end the nursing session before we had a problem.

I can't remember any other techniques that I tried, but I think these are the main ones that made a difference. The biting didn't last long. It makes me so sad when people wean just because of teething.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Ouch. Please keep me updated as to how this goes, cos DS has just got the beginning of his first tooth through today, and it's friend next door doesn't look far away either. A couple of days away maybe. He has already been clamping down on me with iron hard gums, so I'm dreading the teeth coming in!!!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by ketteringmom View Post
    DD's two front bottom teeth came in in the last week. Since Sunday (when they second tooth appeared) she has bitten me 3 times! Ouch!
    I say "Ouch" (as a reaction) and then unlatch her and say "No". Well, twice when I did that she started crying Then it makes me sad But I know I need to stop this now.

Anyone have advice on anti-biting techniques that work???
    I'm so glad you posted this. I was coming here to ask the same thing. My LO cut three teeth this week.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

I thought Dr. Sears had some good answers in this article:

http://www.parenting.com/parenting/a...735862,00.html

When Elijah bit I would say No! in a firm voice and then I would remove him from my breast/lap for a few minutes. I also started spacing out his feedings when he did that. It seemed like he wanted to play more than he wanted to eat.

I dread going through this with Liliana
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

Talking Re: Biting!

My son has "bitten" me twice. I put bite in quotes because it was more like he closed his jaws and wasn't chewing or anything like that. (He has 4 teeth.) My reaction was instinctive, I yelped and took him off the breast. I said no bite. He looked so surprised. He had never been yelled at before! Each time was when he didn't really want to nurse and I was trying to convince him to nurse, so I think he was just playing with the nipple like a chew toy and not nursing. While I think we both learned our lesson. That was 2 weeks ago and he hasn't bitten since and if I offer the breast and he isn't interested I don't push it.

P.S. I always said I would only nurse until he got teeth and then that would be the end of it, but so far so good! And what would I do, tell my little guy his favorite mommy comfort is gone. I couldn't do that....
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
    P.S. I always said I would only nurse until he got teeth and then that would be the end of it, but so far so good! And what would I do, tell my little guy his favorite mommy comfort is gone. I couldn't do that....
    When my MIL saw Jack's 2 little teeth poking through his gum today, she said "Now you're for it girl, you'll have to give up soon!". Thanks for the support! No way am I taking away his comfort. So there!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

I have a three strike rule. I take her off and say no, offer again, if she bites, same thing - no, third time if she bites, we're done with that nursing session. I've only had to do this once or twice. She rarely bites anymore, esp. if we keep distraction (ie. older sister) to a minimum.

Amy

I removed Nora from the breast when she bit. She seemed to get the idea pretty quickly. The last time she bit I yelped, jumped, and cried (she got me good that time). I think it alarmed her so much that she never did it again. Her biting 'phase' only lasted about 3 weeks or so.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I am so glad to have found this thread!!! Caitlyn cut her second tooth Christmas day and since then has bitten me a couple of times. It HURTS!!!! I am NOT ready to quit nursing, but I am wondering how much more my poor nipples can take

Hopefully by trying some of the methods posted I can get her to stop, sooner rather than later
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07