Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solids and bottlefeeding schedule

Default Solids and bottlefeeding schedule

Hello all! Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!

I have decided to wean my LO from breastfeeding as of yesterday. It was a hard decision, but after one too many bites with 2 sharp little teeth, I had to. We made it to 10 months, but I was a little disappointed with myself since I was hoping for a year. I have converted to pumping once maybe twice a day if I'll need to, but getting very little and having to supplement with formula as my stash is critically low.

So my question is...

How much and how often should I be giving my LO a bottle if I am giving her 3 meals a day (with an occasional cracker/cheerio snack here and there)? She takes about 4-6 ounces of milk each time, but sometimes she only takes 3 bottles during the day when she's at home with DH. When she was at my mom's she would take 3-4 bottles plus 2 breastfeeding sessions in a whole day. Now that the breasfeeding has stopped I am unsure of how much to bottlefeed her. She eats her solids like a champ. The pedi has told me that she should be getting about 20 ounces of "dairy" (meaning breastmilk or formula, not including yogurt, which she gets as her lunch). With the breastfeeding, I wasn't concerned about it, but now that we are bottlefeeding it seems to be more of an issue for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Default Re: Solids and bottlefeeding schedule

I'm sorry you feel you need to wean. Why not try to figure out the cause of the biting and see if you can resolve it? With my DD, offering less often is what was needed. I was trying to stuff her without realizing it! I recommend the book "My Child Won't Eat!" for all your questions. It's awesome!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

The biting is because my supply is so low. I've tried everything I could...Fenugreek, Mother's Milk Tea, a combo of the both, extra pumping sessions, nursing weekends in bed, cutting back on her solids, tons of water, and so on. Going back to work 5 months ago put a strain on my supply and the stress of the work I do (I'm a NICU nurse) has finally taken it's toll on my body. I am going to try and pump 3 times a day and give her whatever I can, but I cannot take another nibble from her. Once she empties the breast she bites and I can't determine when she'll bite, sometimes it's 3 minutes sometimes it's 7. She used to just pull off, but now she realizes that she can use her teeth. I had to supplement her afterwards anyway because she was still hungry. I wish I didn't have to wean, but I can't seem to increase my supply for her.
    Last edited by AnaGracesMama; December 26th, 2007 at 09:45 PM.

Does she nurse politely when she's sleepy? What about after she has her solids?

Weaning is probably going to be harder for you than for her. Maybe a scaled-back or non-nutritive nursing relationship would help you feel better about mostly weaning.

I think when she was really sleepy and not very hungry she would nurse politely...but I would nurse in fear every time. She's had teeth for 2 months now and only started biting in the last 2 weeks. I am definitely going to pump and give her what I can until I can't produce anymore, but it just breaks my heart that we couldn't nurse for a whole year. I'm feeling a little selfish about it. I just wish I could produce more for her. I just have to keep reminding myself that I nursed longer than many other women have, longer than my friends at work, and longer than I originally expected myself to.

I think you did great!! 10 Months WOW. I really hope I can do it for that long. BFing and WOH is very hard. If you can pump and give her EBM that will be great also.

No advice just Good luck!

I was about to make a similar post. I am considering weaning at 9 months, for various reasons. Right now though, I am currently supplementing with 6-8 ounces of formula a day (weight gain issues, pumping issues, and am away from him on some evenings for a few hours.) I feed DS 3 "meals" a day...though....it's more like 2 servings altogether, and I nurse him....a lot. I think it's about 5 times a day, but I have no idea how much he is getting. He is not a very good eater, and I'm thinking it's because he gets full off of milk. I would like to cut back on the milk and feed him solids instead. But since he had problems gaining weight...I'm afraid if I nurse him less, that he will not gain, and my milk supply will be low (which I think it was low before, and that's the reason he was losing weight.) This sounds confusing, but basically....I just want to know exactly how much he should be eating vs. drinking. I think this would just be easier with formula at this point. Especially since I work part-time and don't have a set schedule, and I REFUSE to TRY pumping.....I can NEVER get more than 2 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan's Mommy View Post
    I was about to make a similar post. I am considering weaning at 9 months, for various reasons. Right now though, I am currently supplementing with 6-8 ounces of formula a day (weight gain issues, pumping issues, and am away from him on some evenings for a few hours.) I feed DS 3 "meals" a day...though....it's more like 2 servings altogether, and I nurse him....a lot. I think it's about 5 times a day, but I have no idea how much he is getting. He is not a very good eater, and I'm thinking it's because he gets full off of milk. I would like to cut back on the milk and feed him solids instead. But since he had problems gaining weight...I'm afraid if I nurse him less, that he will not gain, and my milk supply will be low (which I think it was low before, and that's the reason he was losing weight.) This sounds confusing, but basically....I just want to know exactly how much he should be eating vs. drinking. I think this would just be easier with formula at this point. Especially since I work part-time and don't have a set schedule, and I REFUSE to TRY pumping.....I can NEVER get more than 2 ounces.
    Read "My Child Won't Eat!" Good luck!