Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not pumping enough during the day

Question Not pumping enough during the day

My baby girl is four and a half months old. She is exclusively breast fed. I have started back to work four weeks ago. I pump during the day for her next day's bottle feeding while she is at day care. I also pump once during the middle of the night since she is sleeping through the night. I breast feed her in the morning before she leaves for day care and then when she gets home. I breast feed her the entire weekend. She has increased the amount she drinks during the day to 7 oz three times a day. I pump every 3 hours when I am at work. I have noticed this week a decrease in the amount that I am getting from pumping. I try relaxing, looking at pictures of her, breast massage, drinking warm tea before but I am not able to get enough milk in one day for her next days feedings. I have a supply of frozen milk that I use but am worried that I will eventually deplete this supply. When I breast feed her she is satisifed so I know I have enough milk. So my question is how can I get the quantity of milk I pump to increase so I have enough milk for her bottles?

Default Re: Not pumping enough during the day

First, well, done! its not always easy to keep an ebf baby when you go back to work!

you might try pumping right after your baby nurses, many women find that they can get a a bit more out then, even just an ounce is worth it. you can also nurse your baby on one side only and pump from the other side at the same time, swithching if your baby asks for it. if you can manage to pump a little more often at work, say fit one more pumping into your day, this might also help.
    if youre already trying breast massage, that's great.
    I can highly recommend drinking a 'mother's milk' herbal tea when you have your warm tea, these are herbal blends that usually contain some combination of fenugreek and blessed thistle with others, and is fantastic for increasing milk production. also taking 3 capsules of fenugreek/day is a great supply increaser, you can get the caps and the teas at any good health food store.
    keep in mind that its best to avoid supplementing with formula.

Can you try to pump every two hours? It might be a pain, but you might find your supply increases.

Good luck... I'm a pumping mom too!

Tina
    Mom to Avery Rose 12-9-05

I work full-time and pump at work as well, and I have the same problems that you're having. What works for me is to pump before DS (age 12 weeks) nurses at each feeding. I pump about one ounce eat time, so in eight hours I have another four-ounce feeding. (DS nurses every two hours and eats about four ounces at a time.) It's a pain in the neck, but it works for us, so it's absolutely worth it. HTH!

Thanks to everyone who responded with their advice and encouragement.

I thought about trying to pump more, possibly every two hours but wasn't sure if this would work because during the weekend when I am with my daughter she nurses approximately every three hours. Then during the week I would try to pump every two hours and I wasn't sure if I was going to get increased results. Does anyone have an idea if I start pumping every two hours how long will it take to see if my supply increases?

I also was considering trying the mothers milk tea and have decided to try and get some this weekend. As to the breast massage, is there a certain amount of time I should do this or a certain method? Sorry for all the questions, I am a first time mom and really want to be able to provide breast milk for my daughter as long as possible. I have not supplemented at all with formula and hope I won't have to. It is just strange that this week she increased the amount she is consuming and I have decreased the amount I am pumping.

Thanks again!

pumping every 2 hours is very likely to increase your milk supplies, it may happen quickly, it might take a week or 2 for supply to catch up with "demand"
    drinking the mothers milk tea will definatly give you a good boost.
    I had a client who drank it really often (3x as much as reccommended) and then we had to deal with an oversupply issue after just 3 days
    you can massage your breast whenever you nures or pump.

Hi Stephanie,

I also have the same problem. One thing I do that helps is to pump and nurse at the same time during the first feeding each day. My son is 5.5 months old, so I have to use the "football hold" to do it.

Another thought is maybe the caregivers are overfeeding her and she would be satisfied with less? I leave 4 ounce bottles for my son - although he is fed 9-11 times a day.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html