Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 weeker born 12/19 -- when will my milk come in?

Default 32 weeker born 12/19 -- when will my milk come in?

Hi everyone!

This is my 3rd baby and I breastfed the other 2 with no problems. My son was born 12/19 at 32 weeks and I have been using a breast pump to try to start my milk. On day 3 I felt my breasts getting firm and I was pumping about 10ml per session. Now, on day 5, my breasts no longer feel hard and I am only getting 5ml per session. I am getting concerned. I know that using a pump to start breastfeeding can take longer and that when a baby is premature it can take longer for the milk to come in. I am pumping for 15 minutes every 3 hours with the Medela pump in style. Am I doing enough? Should I just be patient? I am just getting worried. He is being fed 30 mls every 3 hours now and I desperately want to give him the breastmilk he needs but am just not making enough. Any advice?

Thank you so much! Melissa

Default Re: 32 weeker born 12/19 -- when will my milk come in?

Hi Melissa,

I think we can all understand your worries about milk production and making enough for your baby!
    Can you give us some details about your birth? Any complications? Many women have there milk come in on the 4 or fifth day. It can be more difficult with a preemie, because some of the normal higher levels of hormone just aren't there yet.

Here is a great link to the Marmet hand expression of milk. this type of expression is really useful to new mothers.

Are you able to do any kangaroo care? Close proximity of baby on mama's breast will help stimulate milk production.

I might reduce the amount of time between pumping. The three hours can be looked at as a minimal suggestion; more may be better. If you feel able to pump every two hours during the day, it may really help.

Keep us posted!

Congratulations on your new baby!

I thought milk usually comes in between 3-5 days into pumping (for some reasons, my computer is so slow so I could not double-check whether that is true). In my case, my milk started to come in on day 3, when I started to have 20ml per session compared to 10 a session. So maybe in your case, it is taking longer for milk to come in....

Having said that, though, from what I hear and read, it is essential for you to use a hospital-grade pump, and Pump-in-Style is not one. Is it possible for you to rent one (maybe hospital social worker can point you to the rental service)? Are you able to consult with Lactation Consultant in the hospital?

Good luck! Be proud that you are doing one of the most incredible things only you can do for your baby.
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert1617 View Post
    Hi everyone!

This is my 3rd baby and I breastfed the other 2 with no problems. My son was born 12/19 at 32 weeks and I have been using a breast pump to try to start my milk. On day 3 I felt my breasts getting firm and I was pumping about 10ml per session. Now, on day 5, my breasts no longer feel hard and I am only getting 5ml per session. I am getting concerned. I know that using a pump to start breastfeeding can take longer and that when a baby is premature it can take longer for the milk to come in. I am pumping for 15 minutes every 3 hours with the Medela pump in style. Am I doing enough? Should I just be patient? I am just getting worried. He is being fed 30 mls every 3 hours now and I desperately want to give him the breastmilk he needs but am just not making enough. Any advice?

Thank you so much! Melissa
    The two biggest things in obtaining optimal milk volume is using the right pump for the job and pumping often enough.

Sounds as if the volume did come or was coming and right on time; it may be the pump -- not your body -- that's the issue. The Pump 'n Style was designed for the woman with well-established milk production -- not for someone establishing production and not even for maintaining good production round the clock. So it can be a great pump when used for the job it was designed to do, but you're asking it to do a job it wasn't designed for. A rental, hospital-grade pump was designed to establish and then maintain production 24/7.

Effective, frequent milk removal is key to making more (and more) milk. The number of pumping sessions makes a tremendous difference in the volume of milk obtained -- at LEAST 8x/24 hours; many mothers don't pump/remove milk often enough. Often moms think they're pumping more often than they are, so it really helps to keep a log. (If pumping every 3 hours round the clock, it's more likely the pump than the routine. And 15 minutes may/may not be adequate. Will get back on that later.) Having properly fitted flanges -- the pieces that fit over each breast -- on the collection kit can also affect amount. The pumping technique also can make a difference. Breast massage before and/or during pumping has been shown to affect volume obtained too.

Hang in and get back with more info as able.

Hi! How are things now?

Thank you girls for the advice. It was a difficult pregnancy...I was on bedrest and my water broke at 31 weeks and I spent 7 days in the hospital before they decided to do a c-section. I received days of antibiotics and the steroid shots for the baby's lungs. I called my hospital and they do not rent pumps. I even called another local hospital and they only rent the pump n style. Do you know of any other places I could call?

As an update to my milk supply, until this morning I was consistantly pumping my regular 5-10 ml. Then this morning at 9AM I pumped 30ml and I was so excited. I was thinking I had turned the corner. But then the next 3 times I pumped I got 3ml, 5ml and 5ml. I am so disappointed.

Any other advice? This is day 8 now. I am getting worried.

How often are you pumping mama?

My son was born 12/19 at 32 weeks and I have been using a breast pump to try to start my milk. On day 3 I felt my breasts getting firm and I was pumping about 10ml per session. Now, on day 5, my breasts no longer feel hard and I am only getting 5ml per session. I am getting concerned. I know that using a pump to start breastfeeding can take longer and that when a baby is premature it can take longer for the milk to come in. I am pumping for 15 minutes every 3 hours with the Medela pump in style. Am I doing enough? Should I just be patient? I am just getting worried. He is being fed 30 mls every 3 hours now and I desperately want to give him the breastmilk he needs but am just not making enough. Any advice?
    Is your pump new? Is pumping comfortable?

I called my hospital and they do not rent pumps. I even called another local hospital and they only rent the pump n style. Do you know of any other places I could call?
    Here are two helpful (non-LLL) resources:
    1-800-TELLYOU (Medela)
    http://www.ameda.com/where/ (Ameda)

If you cannot rent locally, have you considered renting online?

As an update to my milk supply, until this morning I was consistantly pumping my regular 5-10 ml. Then this morning at 9AM I pumped 30ml and I was so excited. I was thinking I had turned the corner. But then the next 3 times I pumped I got 3ml, 5ml and 5ml. I am so disappointed.
    Do you have any local support, gilbert? A local LLL Group? An IBCLC through your hospital/NICU?

Here is some information you might find helpful:

LLL resources:

Breastfeeding Premature Infants
    www.llli.org/NB/NBpremature.html

Increasing milk production
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html

Non-LLL resources
    Maximizing milk production with a pump
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Establishing and maintaining milk production when baby is not nursing
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

Hand expression
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Kangaroo care:
    http://www.kangaroomothercare.com/whatis01.htm

Keep us updated!

Thank you so much for all of the resources. I will definitely read all of that info today and hopefully find some help. I also found a local lactation consultant last night and she is going to rent me a hospital grade pump. I am going to pick it up this morning. I had been pumping every 3 hours but I'll try bumping it up to every 2 hours.

In good news, this morning I pumped 30ml again AND I felt my first let-down. So I'm feeling more hopeful. Thank you guys SO MUCH.

Melissa

cool I'm gald you were able to find a beter pump..
    maybe this link will help:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

you can do it!
    Don't be afraid to look up your local leader she can help too...