Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help

Default I need help

DS is almost 9 months old. He is being a pill about nursing and I am having a difficult time keeping up supply. He wants SOLIDS - all the time and nothing but.

He has refused nursing (but lots of non-nutritive sucking, distracted giggles, nipple tweaking and biting) today but eaten 1/2 an avocado, a 1/2 cup of applesauce, 1/2 a banana and 1/4 cup of lima beans in the last hour.

He wants to suck and cuddle CONSTANTLY, but he doesn't actually latch on. He just wants to be at the breast. He has a temper tantrum when I get dressed. He has a fit when anyone else holds him.

He seems to be choosing solids over mama milk already What do I do? Let him do this and get help from pediatrician to make sure his nutritional needs are met?

I wanted to nurse past 12 months. I'm really sad, but I can't keep struggling like this.

To add onto it, my dad is so worried about DS in the 10th percentile that he's HUGELY pressuring me. DS won't take a bottle from me, but Gpa is going to buy bottles and formula because he is convinced DS will starve over the holidays. (I can't WAIT for them to leave on their travel!) Gpa keeps pushing supplementing and caused an extreme drop in milk supply because of it. I was down to nursing once a day - and barely that even. I am fed up. I can't fight this anymore. Why is it so hard for Gpa to understand - He's NOT HUNGRY - he wants you to LEAVE HIM ALONE!

DS was just having a fit and Gpa was pressuring me to nurse him (again) even the DS didn't want to. Gpa left (to buy bottles). I laid DS down in his crib and he was instantly asleep.

I can't do this anymore
    Last edited by @llli*vanne; December 23rd, 2007 at 03:22 PM.

Default Re: I need help

Vanne,
    Do what is best for you and DS. I think I missed it, but do you pump? If you are willing to continue that, do some, and give it to him in a sippy cup. i don't see a reason to continue with bottles, but that is JMO. That way, he still has his drink, you don't have to go to formula, which it sounds like you really don't want to do. some babies are small, and that is how it is. If he seems healthy, I don't see why you should push formula if you don't want to. , no one will think badly of you if you can't do it anymore. DS wants a happy mommy, and if you are so unhappy over this, then change it to where you can and DS are both happy. Although your dad means well, he really can't know and understand how you feel.

I found this today. http://www.ed.gov/parents/earlychild.../ninemonth.pdf

(emphasis mine)

Your baby may be eating many kinds of solid foods. But breast milk is
    still his main source of nutrition. You need to eat healthy foods to maintain
    your energy and milk supply. Your body may be making less milk now because
    your baby is nursing less. But if your baby wants to nurse more, your body
    will make more milk.

Help your baby learn about drinking from a cup. Many parents like using a
    cup with a lid and spout. This helps babies move from sucking to sipping.
    You might want to put breast milk in the cup. Offer it at meals. As your baby
    learns to drink, put more breast milk in the cup. Or put water in the cup.

Your baby is learning to feed himself. That means mealtimes may be messy
    and stressful. Avoid quarrels. Give your baby finger foods. Talk with him so
    he will learn that mealtime is a social time. Finish with a relaxed breastfeeding.

Sometimes your baby may want to play instead of nurse. When that
    happens, let him sit on your lap. Read a story or sing a song instead. He
    may not be hungry. Or he may be bored with the feeding.

Remember, nursing satisfies both physical and emotional needs. Let
    your baby nurse whenever he needs a snack. Let him nurse when he
    needs to feel your loving arms.

To learn more about breastfeeding, you may want to contact your local
    health department, WIC clinic, hospital, La Leche League or doctor. You
    can call La Leche League at 1-800-LALECHE or visit their Web site at
    www.lalecheleague.org/.
    Very reassuring. I think I will be able to sleep now. It's been a LONG day.
    Last edited by @llli*vanne; December 24th, 2007 at 12:00 AM.

I am not a good researcher. I am glad that you are feeling reassured.

I emailed a local LLL leader. She suggested it might be a nursing strike. I hadn't thought of that, but it could be. DS nurses just fine when he is sleepy.

i don't know what a nursing strike is. I mean, obviously I know what it is, but I don't know why it happens, etc.

There are many reasons for a nursing strike. We've already been through one, so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm assuming this will pass quickly, so I plan to continue to offer bfing frequently and give high fat/high calorie solids instead of formula supplements.

I think the solids agree with him. He is HEAVY today! He hasn't gained weight in a long time.

well, I am glad that you have figured out what it is. Merry Christmas.

Y'know how I said DS was comfort sucking so much? Now I have nipple thrush AGAIN. I think this is like the 7th time. I forgot how badly it hurts! I am so frustrated and tired.

ahh, suck! darling, I hope you get a break soon from feeling so rotten.