Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation for my 4 month old

Default Relactation for my 4 month old

Hi everyone! I am currently attempting to relactate for my 4 month old daughter. I breastfed her for 1 month, but not exclusively. I had some very bad advice to supplement her after each feeding, and eventually I just stopped breastfeeding altogether.

I started pumping about 2 weeks ago. I also started taking More Milk Plus and Goat's Rue. I've pumped every 3 hours. I am noticing a slight increase but not much. To make matters worse I moved last weekend and since then have not been able to keep up very well. I also left my herbs at my old house and haven't been able to get to them. My ex is bringing them to me tomorrow, but I am so worried that this slump will ruin my chances.

My issues are 1: I can't get my daughter to latch. She screams bloody murder if I even just get her into breastfeeding position. She hates the SNS. 2: I can't seem to get anything with a pump. I've tried a hand pump and a hospital grade pump. I actually get more if I hand express but it can be painful and it takes a long time.

I'm just not sure where to go from here. I've never met anyone who has been through this and I don't know what to expect.

Any advice, tips, or success stories would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by ReiSapphireJade; December 23rd, 2007 at 11:42 AM.

Default Re: Relactation for my 4 month old

Hi Heather!

A pothole isn't the end of the road, KWIM?!

Have you tried manual expression (removing milk from your breasts by hand)?

Hae you tried taking a bath with your girl? Do you cosleep - even if only for a nap? Have you tried offering breast when she is asleep or very sleepy?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
    Hi Heather!

A pothole isn't the end of the road, KWIM?!

Have you tried manual expression (removing milk from your breasts by hand)?

Hae you tried taking a bath with your girl? Do you cosleep - even if only for a nap? Have you tried offering breast when she is asleep or very sleepy?
    Thank you so much for your response. I know I just have to get back at it and hopefully things will get better!

I actually get quite a bit with manual expression, it just is somewhat painful and takes awhile. Someone else suggested offering the breast when sleepy, I will have to try that. She does take a pacifier so maybe I can replace that. I would love to take a bath with her but I also have a 17 month old so my days are very full and I'm lucky if I get to take a 5 minute shower!

I think 4 months is a great time to start trying again as everything is starting to go in the mouth. If you are able to take a day at home in a room with just you and your LO for awhile, stripe your LO down, and take your top off and do lots of skin to skin contact. Do this when your LO isn't real hungry. You can offer the breast and some babies will take right back to it, others will take time, some will not. However, this will help your milk supply as well. I can't remember the exact term for it, but some chemical in your system will start to draw the milk out. I did this with my almost 4 month old, and I hadn't breastfed since he was 2 weeks. He took right to it. He did not do it every time, but we are getting better. You can also squeeze a little of the milk into the mouth of your LO right from the breast and she may decide to realize that that is where it comes from. Good luck!!!!

when i was trying to get my son to latch on after not being able to nurse him the best thing for me was skin to skin- i wore him in a moby wrap- i was shirtless, he in a diaper and i can't say this enough i found and AMAZING lactation consultant. it was unreal to me, he would refuse to nurse, we would walk into her office and he would latch right on like a champ. she helped me so much. it was amazing- we were so broke at the time from our son being in the nicu 6 wks- she never charged me a penny (that isn't very common) but if you can't afford an LC- i know they can be expensive- find a LLL leader- i also got a lot of help from a leader- i could not have done it alone- and there is no need to if you have help around- so as much as you are trying to help your baby, find some help for yourself! it honestly made all of the difference.

Heather, I'm so glad to see you on LLL. I'm quite sure you'll get more advice once the holidays settle down. There are lots of mamas on here that relactated and had great success at getting their lo's back to the breast. Like I said before its going to take a lot of patience but well worth the wait. Enjoy the bumpy road and take it one day at a time. Keep us updated.

Corey