Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: supply very low after giving pumped milk

Question supply very low after giving pumped milk

I am looking for anyone's suggestions or advice on what to do right now. I have been successfully nursing my 10 1/2 wk old and at times using pumped milk while we travel or when he is with occasional child care. This past Sunday we used pumped milk for his 5:00 pm and 8:30 pm feedings. He then slept through the night until 7:30 yesterday morning which is his regular sleeping pattern. The problem is that ever since yesterday morning's feedings all the way to right now, my milk supply is totally low. He used to nurse for about 20 minutes every four hours and I would be full. Now for the past 24+ hours I have not been full at all and he eats for about 10 minutes and my breasts seem empty. He gets frustrated that there's no milk. I've tried to pump two hours after feeding him and when I usually got 4-5 oz now I get barely an ounce. What did I do wrong? Am I dried up forever? I need to be able to feed my son but I also need to pump more milk for an upcoming 2 day trip where I won't be with him. Help!

Default Re: supply very low after giving pumped milk

I am so sorry you are worried about supply! That must be very frustrating for you.

Are you sure that you have a supply issue and ds is not possibly dealing with something else that is making him fussy? Could he have a cold or ear infection? How about teething? Could he have eaten something (I am assuming he is eating solids) that bothered him? Softening of the breasts in and of itself is not an indication of low supply. That is within the range of normal. But if you feel like supply is down, then you are the mom and it certainly may be.

If you are sure it is a supply problem...let me ask you a few more questions:

Have you recently gotten your period?
    Could you be pregnant?
    Have you taken any medications lately?
    Could your pump have a malfunction?
    Has ds increased solids?

The best way to increase supply at this point is to nurse/pump frequently. Could you spend the next couple of days just nursing a lot? Typically it takes as long as it took to get into the problem, to get out. So if you noticed this after just a day it shouldn't take much more than a day or two of increased nursing to bring things back up. Here is some more info:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html