Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: benefits to nursing past one year

Default benefits to nursing past one year

Hi fellow nursers,

I'm the proud nursing (about 3X per day now) mommy of my little 16 month old monkey boy. I've got a pretty supporive family and partner, but am still getting the odd question or comment that I'd like to have some more info on to help back up my assertions....not that other people's opinions will make a difference in MY and my little one's bbf'ing relationship, mind you, but I'd like further info to help open some minds.

So here goes:
    We are still offering our toddling wee ones beneficial antibodies to common viruses that we're exposed to, yes?

Nutritionally, what am I offering Brian with breast milk in the somewhat minimal amts I'm giving him?

The bonding and comfort aspects are invaluable, I know. Anything else you can think of to share?

Thanks a bunch,

Jen

Default Re: benefits to nursing past one year

breastmilk is free, alot cheaper then cows milk at over $3.00 a gallon.

Yep, your lo is still getting the antibodies. Here's a link with a lot of other benefits. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html Mothering Your Nursing Toddler is also a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    Yep, your lo is still getting the antibodies. Here's a link with a lot of other benefits. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html Mothering Your Nursing Toddler is also a good read.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Jen

Thumbs up Re: benefits to nursing past one year

Here's another if you are interested from a UK lady!

It's called "Breastfeeding a toddler! Why an Earth?"

http://www.breastfeeding.co.uk/index...d=30&Itemid=26

I found it covers pretty much everything too.

I don't want to detract from the last post, but wanted to point out something. As I read the piece it links to, I thought it was familiar. It is actually authored by Dr. Jack Newman, who is a breastfeeding "guru" in Toronto, Canada. I'd read the same text on his website (www.drjacknewman.com). I have found his site to be an outstanding resource on nursing-related stuff. He and the LC's he works with will also field questions by email.

Thanks Milkmaid!

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by momma2bgtwinsplus1 View Post
    I don't want to detract from the last post, but wanted to point out something. As I read the piece it links to, I thought it was familiar. It is actually authored by Dr. Jack Newman, who is a breastfeeding "guru" in Toronto, Canada.
    I did notice that the link Millkmaid sent actually does credit him at the bottom of the article.

Thanks for the link to Dr. Newman's site, Momma2. Nice to know that there's one more notable breastfeeding supporter in my homeland's medical community.

Jen

Oh, wow, that's some great info! I'm gonna have to print it off and pass it out at family gatherings
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~