Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No hindmilk?

Default No hindmilk?

I'm just following up from earlier message a week ago, my daughter still not back to her birthweight (day 20), even though she feeds a lot and had wet and dirty nappies every day. I've now been advised to give her formula as at 3 weeks the weight is an issue. My midwife thinks that she can't get to the hindmilk, because I do have milk as I can hand squeeze it out easily and expressed 3 oz quite quickly earlier, however I cannot see the separation into layers (ie foremilk/hindmilk) so am wondering if I simply do not have any hindmilk? She never seemed to do the long sucks which I have read about, she seems more of a 'snacker' if you know what I mean, very unusual if she fed for more than about 20 mins.

Has anyone heard of this, I do really want to bfeed but cant bear worry of her not thriving. Also have a one year old too, so cannot spend ages expressing (Ive only managed once today am worried supply will dry up fast). Any suggestions? thankyou

Default Re: No hindmilk?

There is not that huge of a difference between foremilk and hindmilk...both are the same. They are breastmilk. All breastmilk is hindmilk. The difference is that foremilk has had time to hang out in the breast and the fat globules in the milk have stuck to the side walls of the alveoli (storage tanks) of the breast. When your milk lets down, the milk in the back of the breast (hindmilk) is squeeeeeeeeezed down the ducts towards the nipple. As this milk is being pushed down, it slowly dislodges the fat globules that were sticking to the walls of the alveoli and carries them out of the nipple pores with the rest of the milk. So, in short, you do have hindmilk! Every mother has hindmilk.

freyasmom, do you feel like you have a lot of milk? If you do, it is completely possible that your dd is "filling up" on foremilk before she can get to the good stuff. Did your midwife talk to you about this at all?

Default Re: No hindmilk?

have you had her weighed before and after a feeding to see how much she is taking?