Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hahaha... SNS coordination

Default hahaha... SNS coordination

Okay, I got the SNS and have used it for a couple of fedings. It is very difficult to get ds to latch correctly AND get the tube in his mouth. I can do one or the oher, but doing both at the same time seems impossible. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know anything about tongue-tied babies? I think my ds might be slightly tongue-tied. He has an indentation in the tip of his tongue, but I have seen him sticj his tongue out of his mouth, slightly past his lips.

Default Re: hahaha... SNS coordination

Oh, the memories........
    We struggled a bit with that, too. I resorted to taping the tube onto my areola, with tape longer than you would need if you are just taping it onto your breast, so that the tape doesn't come off in babies mouth. This may or may not be a good idea, but it worked for the three weeks or so until they were big enough and strong enough to nurse without it. My nipples were not happy, but, the moisture from the nursing actually helped get the tape off without so much pain.
    I don't have any tips or info on the tongue-tie question. Good luck to you!
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

My son was tongue tied and we just got it clipped last month at 6 months old. It made a big difference. I feel like we would not have had such an awful time if we would have caught it at birth. Find an ENT if you can who will clip it ASAP.

I have been using the SNS for a couple of months, now and I still struggle with exactly what you are talking about. I often wonder if it is worth it. Then I remember why I am doing this and decide that yes, I will continue to try patiently to get it positioned right. Some times it takes 4-5 times before we have right.

Keep at it momma! We will both be off of these things one day!

Definately check out the tongue tie, my daughter got hers clipped at six weeks after two pediatricians and a lactation consultant told her she was fine. I think we would have had a much easier time of things had it been clipped earlier. Find an ENT fast!

Relactatingmomforthelord, how is everything going? Did you ever get your supply back up after the fennel?
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Yes, my supply came up after the fennel - pretty much as soon as I stopped. I am still supplementing, but he is finally able to nurse and actually empty my breast on his own thanks to the frenotomy. It seems like I get to within a few ounces of having all the milk he needs and then my supply takes a sharp dip due to those monthly hormones. I keep getting more milk each month, so theoretically I will "get there." I can't find nearly enough information on relactation to know if this cycle lasts forever or if my body will finally "forget" or what. I mean, I don't have AF, just a dip in supply and tender emotions.

I know that he will start eating solids and eventually not need as many calories from nursing. Until then I am still pumping after every feeding and supplementing with the SNS. It is a lot of hard work, but he will only be a baby once.

Reading some of the "low-milk supply" websites really helps as I can know there are other moms out there doing this, too. Right now we are on the low end of things, but according to my best calculations, my milk should start increasing again after the 26th. The book "Mother Food" by Hillary Jacobson talks about adding Calcium and Magnesium at every meal to prevent the premenstral dip, and I have done that. Maybe next month it will help!

How 'bout you? Give me an update! Do you have to pump anymore or are you just nursing without any more bumps in the road? I so hope the later. I am just so proud of both of us for working so hard for our lo's.

Thumbs up Re: hahaha... SNS coordination

We've had a couple bumps, but we are getting past them. I got her off the bottles, but her latch wasn't good at all at first and I got blood blisters. We worked through those, but I was still in a great deal of pain and we figured out it was thrush, so I did a round of diflucan and it cleared up for a while. It's back again right now but not nearly as bad (last time it was in the milk ducts, this time just on the surface) and I think it's getting better now. I haven't had to pump for about a month now although some days I am nursing around the clock (especially around THAT time of the month), but I know she's getting enough 'cause the weight gain and the diapers are good. I would rather nurse every hour then pump.

I think maybe our bodies will get used to not having AF? I started when I was pumping, but this month I only had one PMSish day and no AF. The dip in my supply didn't seem as bad either. I should check out that book, it seems really informative.

Yay for all that we are doing, it is so worth it isn't it. I hope it keeps getting better for you!

and

Sorry no advice, just chiming in to say you Mamas are CHAMPS! You are all an inspiration and deserve credit for your persistence and devotion to breastfeeding!!!!!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Paigekitten, thanks for the update. I felt called to be praying for you daily for the two weeks after you posted that you were finally nursing. I had a feeling that it wasn't smooth sailing, but that you were doing it! I am so proud of you! I hope the thrush is forever gone. I know that Vanne struggled through thrush for some time. She may have some helpful hints if it persists.

Yes, I highly recommend the Mother Food book by Hilary Jacobson. It is amazing. I wish that I had had it from the beginning. (I wish I had had everything I know have on board from the beginning).

Well, I have to be honest and tell you that I made it through my goal of continuing at this rate through Christmas. I am now not pumping and am using two bottles a day. I am still nursing on demand and nursing at night as much as he will nurse. But I just couldn't continue that pace as a lifestyle. I was watching our home slowly deteriorate to an unacceptable rate. This, I hope, will be a managable schedule. I am not turning in my rental pump for another day or two, just in case I get a plugged duct, but it has been two days and so far so good.

Sorry about hijacking your thread LisaFaith. Let us know about the tongue tie!

I might have to put a post up about the thrush. I am going to do a couple more days of vinegar rinses, and then I might go looking for Genitian Violet and get another prescription for diflucan. I can only hope that someday nursing will be smooth sailing, because this thrush is aweful!

I can TOTALLY understand dropping the pumping. There comes a point where a person can only do so much, especially when you have a whole family and other kids to take care of, and yourself too. I was homeschooled for years, and my mother worked her tail off every day.

With the frenulum clip, your LO might get better and better at nursing and maybe increase your supply himself, or you'll just have to do the bottles till he is ready for solids, and then it won't matter one bit. Who knows what might happen.

It's so awesome that we were able to get our babies back to the breast after so long with the bottle, and I think it is amazing that you were able to relactate. I didn't even know it was possible when I first started out. I was just praying everyday to know of just one person who had succeeded in getting their baby nursing when actively refusing the breast. The things we have learned, we will pass on to someone else just looking for a little bit of hope.

I know how hard it has been for me to do this with my ONE baby and good supply, and then I think about you and I am just in awe at what you have accomplished.

Don't feel guilty or embarrassed about doing what you have to do. Feel stong and powerful for having come so far, when so many trials were placed in your path. Life is always changing and we have to change with it. It is how we grow and learn and become closer to God.

You are a nursing hero.

and

I don't mind the hijack!!!! I'm famous for it on my regular board.

Things haven't been going well for us aver the last week and a half. Getting ready for Christmas kind of threw things into a tail spin. But we're starting over again this week. My ped is refering us to OT to check to see if my ds is really tongue tied, or just lazy and needs to learn to open wider. The few times that we tried the SNS, I KNOW he was getting breastmilk, because his poopie diapers were more like a bf baby's. So I still have hope we can do this!