Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So he FINALLY decides he wants to eat more...opinions please!

Default So he FINALLY decides he wants to eat more...opinions please!

Cooper is finally taking to feeding himself happily, and not puking every time. And I am finally getting over my hang up of letting him try different things.
    I know right now, he is getting what he needs from BM, but is there something I should be adding to his diet now (he is almost a year)
    He eats chicken, oatmeal, bananas, we've tried yogurt & cottage cheese w/ no reaction(!), pasta, spinach, peas, green beans, carrots..
    he is not big on fruits. Banana seems to be bland enough and he likes it.
    Should I be adding more fruit? I guess I'm afraid of adding citrus and berries (strawberries) but are they okay?
    some one posted a link a long time ago about toddler diets, and what foods are safe at certain ages...anyone have the link handy??
    This solid food business is CONFUSING!!
    TIA!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Default Re: So he FINALLY decides he wants to eat more...opinions please!

Thomas is a little younger than Cooper, but he really loves blueberries. And roasted green beans. I haven't tried any citrus or strawberries either. Thomas also seems to like ground beef that I browned for spaghetti sauce. I'd love to try spinach--how did you prepare it for him?

Blueberries! Good idea, I'm sure he'd love them-I've given him nibbles of a blueberry bagel, and why that didnt translate to buying actual blueberries..

I made a spinach and cheese pasta dish last week, and I had chopped up the spinach and added it to the pasta and it cooked down. He had a hard time picking it up since it was so limp, but I think it helped him to chew it with the pasta otherwise it would probably STILL be in his mouth a week later!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Forget Thomas--that sounds good to ME!

dr sears has some good info on his web site about feeding toddlers.
    AT about a year my last too were eating mostly table foods what ever I fixed for the older kids and adults.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp

It sounds like he's eating really well! That's great that he's decided to stop puking (I'm not laughing at you, I just know how dramatic Nora can act when she puts something un-tasty in her mouth).

I don't know if he needs it, but Nora really enjoys breads. She'll eat the heck out of a lightly buttered piece of whole wheat toast and a banana for b-fast. She loves french bread, too but I don't give her much since there's not much nutritional value to it.

She also loves rice and cous-cous and other grains like that.

As for more fruits, he may like apple or pear or something.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My MIL makes these spinach patties that Sebi loves and are easy to pick up! You can use fresh or thawed frozen spinach, a little bit of olive oil, an egg, some grated cheese (parmesan or whatever you have) and I think she puts like a tablespoon or two or Bisquick to bind it. Then shape in patty form and bake. He (and I) really do love them!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

I too had a hard time with trying new things and worrying abiout reactions. We still have not done any dairy or citrus but just recently bought a jar of organic food that had strawberries in it and had no reaction.

Gabe loves natural apple sauce and does try and eat apples. He also mangos. He has a hard time picking them up because they are slippery but he loves them when he finally gets it into his mouth. (is mango a citrus? if yes, then I take the above back but this is all he has had in that family) He also loves turkey and with the holidays there has been plenty of opportunity to eat it! He liked pork too, I just tried to find the most tender peice and cut it up into little peices. Oh and baked potatoe and sweet potatoes. He loved spinach too, who would've thought? He is just a little older than Cooper, we are days away from the one year mark . He would always prefer to BF over eat but now he likes some food too! I am finding he likes to eat on the go, more like snacking but we are getting three regular meals in. Good Luck!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Quote Originally Posted by Seb's mommy View Post
    My MIL makes these spinach patties that Sebi loves and are easy to pick up! You can use fresh or thawed frozen spinach, a little bit of olive oil, an egg, some grated cheese (parmesan or whatever you have) and I think she puts like a tablespoon or two or Bisquick to bind it. Then shape in patty form and bake. He (and I) really do love them!
    That sounds really good!! Do you bake them at 350? I guess how long depends on how big they are. I'm gonna try that soon!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

350 sounds about right. I guess for about 15 minutes? Just keep an eye out that they don't get too crispy or burnt. She makes them nice and soft. They really are perfect for the LO's to pick up and eat easily. I forgot that she also puts garlic powder and some parsley for flavor. Yummers!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09