Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids or formula??

Default solids or formula??

I started working 4 days a week about a month ago when dd was 6 months. I do not pump enough for when I am away. She consumes more throughout the day then I pump and the freezer supply was dwindled. (more pumpings, an extra one in the morning, going home during the day, pumping at night, etc. are not options that work and/or still leave us short) On the days I am gone, is it okay to give her more solids to fill her up, i.e. is 10-12 oz of breastmilk plus solids enough for her if she is contented with that input? Or would it better to give her formula to supplement? She nurses on demand throughout the night and on the days I am home.
    thanks

Default Re: solids or formula??

Hi there,
    How long are you away? If you had to give her formula I do not think that would be the end of the world but she may be content on 10-12 ounces? It may be a wait and see game. Is there any way that you can come and nurse her at lunch time or if someone could bring her to you? I am not sure if I would fill her up on solids, as a baby that young really needs to be receiving BM or formula as their primary source of nutrition. She may become what is called a reverse cycler, that is where they do not eat as much during the day while away from mom but during the night they nurse A LOT to make up from what they did not get during the day. I am sure that others will come along with some advice also.

Yes, how many hours do you work? How many bottles does she drink, how many oz in each bottle, does she finnish each bottle, and what kind of bottle nipple are you using? Also, does she take a paci at all?

The way I heard it, baby only really needs one oz of ebm for every hour away from mom. So if you worked 8 hours and nursed her right before you left her, she'd only need to drink 8 oz of ebm in the next 8 hours (assuming you nursed her as soon as you picked her up). Of course, if she's having a growth spurt her needs would be different, but this is the general guideline I read.

Is she currently eating any solids? Any solids she does eat should be givin during the hours while you are at work so you can concentrate on nursing while you are together (as it sounds like you are doing an awesome job doing already!).

I work full time and although I never had a problem pumping plenty of milk, ds would still only drink between 8 -12 ounces a day and seemed quite happy with just that amount. But, that being said, I would nurse him right before I left for work, right when I got home in the evenings and before bed. Until he was about 8 months old, he was also still waking up at about 1:00 am to eat. If your daughter is content on the 10-12 ounces of breastmilk and the solids she gets during the day and nursing while you're together, I don't see a real need to supplement with formula. Kudos for being such a dedicated working/pumping mom!