Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: exclusive breastfeeding...how long?

Default exclusive breastfeeding...how long?

my boy will be 7 months next week. he is exclusively breastfed--no cereal, no finger foods, no anything. he has been consistently > the 90th percentile for growth, both weight and height; he was born 9 lbs 8 oz and is now about 21 lbs, active, crawling, talking, and happy. and not sleeping through the night... we cosleep and it has been a wonderful relationship. i have read so much about pros and cons: allergy development, diabetes, celiac's disease, iron requirements, etc, but still feel strongly that exclusive breastfeeding is not just adequate but optimal. any thoughts? i like to hear other moms' reassurance and feedback and experience, as this is still my first babe and all the info available can lead to insecurities. feel free to email me as well. thanks!

Default Re: exclusive breastfeeding...how long?

If he's showing no interest in solid foods, I don't see any reason to push him. Breastmilk provides complete nutrition for the entire first 12 mo, so there's no rush. If he does start to show interest, though, there is no reason to withold food at this point. Follow your baby's cues; he'll let you know when he wants to try something extra.

I totally agree with the previous post.

Question Re: exclusive breastfeeding...how long?

I just tried baby rice cereal for my 8 1/2 month old, and he threw up [not just spit out] a few hours later, with yellow saliva. He did the same for baby oatmeal. Any one have experience with this? He doesn't spit up usually. I gave him bits of peaches and egg whites, and he did ok.

He was exclusively breastfed up to this point.

Was all that given in the same day? Did you give the egg whites before or after he threw up? Egg whites are a very common source of allergies and should be introduce after the first year and start with the egg yolk which it will be less likely to cause a reaction. Remove all the mentions above and reintroduce them one by one and wait at least 4 days between them to introduce a new food and watch for any sign of allergy or food rejection, leave the one that you think that cause the reaction for last.

Also start a new thread so you can get more replies. Hope your Lo feels better!

Quote Originally Posted by goodsaintjude
    I just tried baby rice cereal for my 8 1/2 month old, and he threw up [not just spit out] a few hours later, with yellow saliva. He did the same for baby oatmeal. Any one have experience with this? He doesn't spit up usually. I gave him bits of peaches and egg whites, and he did ok.

He was exclusively breastfed up to this point.
    When we give dd something she is not ready for she throws it up - immediate;y...lol. If she makes it through the burp and nothing comes up - we're golden When she does throw it up - we just hold off for a few more weeks and try again.

For the origional post - dd was ebf until 8.5 months old. We have just started avacado and banana last week.

Quote Originally Posted by midwifesam
    i like to hear other moms' reassurance and feedback and experience
    My first ate her first solids at 7 months, we noticed allergies right away and then didn't try again until she was 11 months because she really didn't seem interested. When she was 11 months old she went straight to finger foods. It was easy as soon as she learned to swallow (it took about a week of practice.)

My second is 7 3/4 months right now. She has been 'begging' for food since around 5 months old. She would fake chew and look longingly at you when you ate. It was really quite pitiful. So much so that I couldn't stand it anymore. I began feeding her little bits of potato from my plate when she was 5 1/2 months old. My plan was to introduce a new food every week, but she had other plans. Once she mastered how to swallow, there was no stopping her. She now eats any people food we will offer her. Some things need to be mashed, but most things she just chews and swallows. It is amazing to me that she is so young and so interested in everything we are eating. It is such a different experience from my first daughter.

You really need to follow your child's lead. So much of food from months 6-12 is just play. I would offer the food and gradually see how much of it ends up in the diaper. It will happen in it's own time.

When my DD was 6 months we tried solids, mashed banana, but she wasnt interested. At 9 months she was still not ready, at 12 months she was still about 99% ebf with just a few bites of solids. She didnt really start being interested till she was 15 months old. She didnt start eating 3 meals a day until she was 22 months and I was pg with DS and my milk dried up

All the time she was ebf she continued to grow and thrive. She taught herself to eat finger foods, I never did the mushy food stage.

DS is almost 6 months now. He has been watching me eat with increasing interest for a few weeks now. We will be getting ready to try soon.

I would relax and let your DC take the lead. Breastmilk is definately the optimal food for as long as its needed.