Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 months and the questions are starting....

Default Re: 8 months and the questions are starting....

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas's Mum View Post
    I either just smile and nod, or say something like, "He IS still nursing. Isn't that great!" as if we are in complete agreement about how wonderful that is. Then I make an escape if I can, because if I don't it becomes too tempting to let my irritation show.
    I do that too, it's totally catching the people offguard, they dont' dare to reply (usually)!

(courtneymm6) Yes isn't it funny - we get that comment as well all the time ("Is he always this happy? What a happy baby!") - some people refuse (like my mom) to believe that the two are related!
    ... !!!

Hey, I have an april's Luca as well!!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

DS is 9 months and my answers to those questions would be: no, yes and yes.

you do what you believe is right for your child.

i don't believe babies are supposed to sleep through - i think it was invented for parents.

WHO recommends that babies bf until at least they are 2 years old.

and they need the outer womb for years - i heard something about for optimum mental development they should co-sleep with parents until they are 5.

Keep doing what you think is right--I give you a lot of credit!! My lo is 8 1/2 months and I get much of the same from people. Only in the US is breastfeeding still sort of looked down upon and commented on so extensively. You should never have to defend yourself. The whole 'sleeping through the night' thing is also a relatively new concept. If your baby does it, woo hoo--enjoy the sleep! If not, not worries--it is totally normal for a small baby (less than a year) to wake up in the night. I wake up a couple of times in the night after all! Don't most of us?? My Mum is from Europe (Sweden) and the whole philosophy is so much more positive over there, so maybe I am less jaded by what people think. Bravo to you and keep your head up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sMum View Post
    DS is 9 months and my answers to those questions would be: no, yes and yes.

you do what you believe is right for your child.

i don't believe babies are supposed to sleep through - i think it was invented for parents.

WHO recommends that babies bf until at least they are 2 years old.

and they need the outer womb for years - i heard something about for optimum mental development they should co-sleep with parents until they are 5.
    where did you hear that about the cosleeping until age 5?

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

i really wish i could remember, but i can't! I read so much about babies it could've been anywhere. Might've been on the radio. sorry.

And it should've been optimum mental health, not development.

I know how you feel . I have definitely found that more people are asking "when are you gonna stop BF?" now that DS is coming up to 8 months. I just say "we'll see" cos I'm not getting into it!! Isn't it funny how when they're small, people say how well we're doing for BFing them, then as soon as they get a bit bigger and are doing more, it's all about when you're gonna stop. Kills me.

As for sleeping through - pah!!! Certainly isn't happening in my house!!!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

5 makes sense to me.. just watching the kids I care for grow up. I'm trying to "kick" my 3 year old out, but she still ends up with me most nights. That's fine.

People stop asking by three.

Here's a story for you..
    I was talking to a woman at a party who happened to be the grandmother of the baby I babysat and we were talking about her grandson. Well, suddenly she gets a little nasty and says of her daughter-in-law, "You know she sleeps with him?!" I was a little shocked by her tone since I was also sleeping with my baby and our hosts were a very proudly co-sleeping family. Still I knew from conversations with the mother that mil had been on her case to get the kid out of their bed, as if it were any of her business. I just told her that I also lay down with the boy at nap time and LOVE it... that that's how I get both kids to sleep at the same time, and that he's so beautiful when he sleeps. But to this day I wish I had listed for her the people in that house that were sleeping with their babies. Or at least told her it was absolutely none of her business.

Quote Originally Posted by courtneymm6 View Post
    I believe 100% in the way I am raising him but it still gets to be a bit annoying.....just thought I would share and see if anyone else gets the same thing....it is from strangers, friends and family alike!

You're the momma and you have to do what's right for your own child. People will always give their opinions- it's kind to listen but then let it go out the other ear and do what you know is best.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Before I was a mama I remember that I was shocked when my SIL was STILL nursing my nephew who was a year and had a gazillion teeth. But I came from a formula family and I didn't "get" BFing. I had to apologize to SIL for being so silly when I was young and single!

To STILL nursing I proudly say, "Yes! Isn't that great!" We love the family style decisions we have made. We think it is natural to have DD in bed with us and not in a room alone by herself. We think that BM is free and nurtitious so why would we pay for crap formula? I think that I am confident and I project confidence about our parenting decisions and that makes people a little more hesitant to ask if we are still co-sleeping.

My mom did see a lady nursing a 3 year old at a party recently. She was shocked and went into "that is only for the mother" so I went into a huge defense of the woman and how I am going to nurse Abby until she is five if she still wants my milk. My mom's mouth was just hanging open. HOW COULD NURSING FOR 36 MONTHS BE JUST FOR THE MOTHER!?!?! I am sure by 36 months I will be really tired of having someone suck on my boobs everyday!!!

Thank you, noodlenerd. I like you already.

"family style decisions" -- I like that term. May I steal it?