Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 months and the questions are starting....

Default 8 months and the questions are starting....

Luca turned 8 months on Saturday and the questions, eyebrow raising, etc is starting -

Is he sleeping through the night yet?
    You are STILL nursing?
    He is STILL sleeping in the bed with you?

I believe 100% in the way I am raising him but it still gets to be a bit annoying.....just thought I would share and see if anyone else gets the same thing....it is from strangers, friends and family alike!

Courtney
    Mom to Luca 4/16/07

Default Re: 8 months and the questions are starting....

People are going to raise their eyebrows over anything different than they did...its just being human! I even catch myself raising my eyebrows when I see tiny babies crying in strollers and I think "Pick him up! Wear him in a sling so he's not down there all alone!" But I don't go up to the mother and say anything. I just smile and hope she notices how happy my DD is in her wrap. Or notices how I can just pop her on a boob while eating out and no one hears a peep out of her.
    I guess there is no way to stop the comments, just smile, nod, and change the conversation!
    Married to my best friend since 2001 , Proud mom of my baby girl Ella 6/19/07

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world." John 16:21

Quote Originally Posted by Laursie View Post
    I guess there is no way to stop the comments, just smile, nod, and change the conversation!
    This is the way I usually deal with it. That or I just lie and say yes she's sleeping through the night, no she doesn't always sleep with us. I refuse to lie about the breastfeeding, though. That is one thing I'll proclaim loudly about till the cows come home (the cow in this case being me)
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I either just smile and nod, or say something like, "He IS still nursing. Isn't that great!" as if we are in complete agreement about how wonderful that is. Then I make an escape if I can, because if I don't it becomes too tempting to let my irritation show.
    Last edited by Thomas's Mum; December 20th, 2007 at 09:00 AM.

I go through that all the time!!! Went for a visit to my mom's recently and her and most of her friends ff their babies --myself included so, yes, because it's different from what they did, it must be wrong. At the same time, I am always talking to my DH about how funny it is that they will make such comments and at the same time say "wow, what a happy baby, is he always like that?" I say "yes, we are blessed."

I guess you have to chalk it up to the fact that people will always give unsolicited advice --like when we were pregnant. I stopped defending or answering and just nod my head, because I discovered that most people who have a lot to say are not interested in your response anyway. OH WELL!!!

The best part is that because we are the moms, we get to make the ultimate decisions.

Here's to smiling and rising above!!!
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

Yes isn't it funny - we get that comment as well all the time ("Is he always this happy? What a happy baby!") - some people refuse (like my mom) to believe that the two are related! But you are all right - here's to smiling, nodding and rising above.....and continuing to nurse!!!!!!!!!!!

My mother ff us and insists still that it is the right thing to do. We were also started on solids at 2 weeks old! Yet she always says how fat the baby is!

I have to share on this one...

My mother in law ff both her children. My husband had a huge milk allergy and lost weight and everything was horrible. Despite all of that, she questions my bf. From day one in the hospital, she started telling me that the baby was losing weight and they wouldn't let me go home and I was not going to be able to bf. My wonderful husband who was well read and prepared for bf issues, sat and patiently informed her about bf. He did a good job, but she still annoys us with her doubts. My baby is in the 97th percintile for weight and 75th for height. She is big and healthy and has not once been sick even with daycare.

My parents on the other hand, listened to us explain about bf and even my dad has become a huge advocate. He called me the other day because he saw a news program about milk banks. He wanted me to be sure to not throw away any extra milk (like I have any). Anyways, I guess for the annoying doubters of everything you do, there are people who become more educated about bf.

Hang in there a bit longer! The answers to those questions haven't changed for us (DS is 23 mo), but when your child reaches a certain age, people start making assumptions and quit asking.

You are not alone. I get it at work. Now that they are 6 months old, people think I should stop. "My wife only nursed for 6 months." "Isn't that all they need?" "Don't you think it's long enough?" "How long are you going to do that?" I just say, "I'm not sure. It's going good for now."