Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mold in the tubes?????

Exclamation mold in the tubes?????

i posted a long time ago about moisture in the ubes, and after I pump I have been letting it run for about 10 minutes to dry out (every time I pump, within a minute it has condensation)

now, I just noticed there is what looks like mold in the tubes! ewww! Has this been affecting the milk!?! My husband says I should soak the tubes in diluted bleach/water... but I don't like anything with bleach having anything to do with the baby, let alone something he'll be injesting. Aside from getting new tubes, any advice? Do I have to dump until then????

Default Re: mold in the tubes?????

Everything I've read here says that if the milk smells ok you can go ahead and give it to the baby. But I wouldn't if I saw mold in the tubes. I once had a little mold in the horn becuase I didn't clean all the way in with a tiny brush, and I tossed all of the milk.

Buying new tubes sounds like a must, and I'd even think about a new pump. Maybe you could rent one for a while? Or get by with a less expensive pump like the Avent Isis? I've been pumping with that two or three times a day for a couple of weeks, and I have to pay more attention than with the Pump in style, but it is almost as fast for me.

I am sorry you have mold in the tubes and that I am not much help to you! Good luck.

I would do what your DH recommend you, while you get some new ones, just rinse it well after you clean them.

If you are using the Pump in Style, here is my advice. I was having problems with A LOT of moisture getting into my tubes, so now after I wash the horns, twist up a paper towel and dry out the parts of the horns that the tubing attaches too. This has solved my problem. Also in regards to drying the tubes if they do get wet, you can use rubbing alchol in them, it will dry up any water in there. Put the alchol in them and then hang them up.

Agree with PP; go the alcohol route and not the bleach route! I think the instructions that come with the PIS even suggest this. You *can* purchase new tubing, though - that's really a good option.
    Jsmom

The tubing isn't that expensive. Consider buying new, then doing the alcohol trick from now on. If your pump is especially prone to condensation, you might consider calling Medela at 1-800-TELLYOU and ask for suggestions.