Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting solids -larger than average baby

Default starting solids -larger than average baby

Hello everyone!

My son is a little over three months old and weighs in around 19 pounds. He is way off the charts for both height and weight. He is over 28 inches long. I have never heard of a larger baby at his age. Most people think he is 8 or 9 months when they see him.

I have read that waiting 6 months to start solids is best, however doc suggested starting early and my baby is extremely large,yet proportionate. He is interested in what he sees on the table and is already making chewing motions with his mouth when he sees food.

Does anyone think my son would be an exception to the six month rule? My gut is telling me that he is thriving and bm is all he needs, however he is the size of an average 9 month old - and I am questioning if his caloric needs will continue to be met.

Default Re: starting solids -larger than average baby

Hi altymom,

Congratulations on your healthy big boy!! My DS was just about the same size, although not as tall. He crept back on to the charts at 6 months.

The best nutrition for your DS is still your milk, and I don't think you need to start solids now. You might get some pressure from your ped to start at 4 months. There have been some threads on that. It is an individual decision. A lot of posters here waited until around 6 months. I waited until 1 week before 6 months since I knew the doctor would ask about it (she had outlined how we should proceed with solid foods when we were at the 4 month visit). To feel like part of the meal experience, your DS could play with a plastic baby spoon while you eat. Mine has fun with that, and it keeps him occupied when we are out at restaurants especially.

Have fun!

Mine started out HUGE and was that way until about a year, at which time he leveled off and is now just really tall for his age although very thin like my husband and I.

Breastmilk will meet his needs. When we started solids, it sure didn't make a dent in how much my son nursed like it's "supposed" to (yeah, right!). So you may actually end up giving him even more calories! I babysit a baby who was started early on solids in hopes of reducing the amount of formula he gets, as recommended by his doctor, and it totally backfired; he still drinks as much formula as he used to, and he's getting several jars of baby food and 4 oz of juice every day. At 9 months, he weighs 27 lbs (!!) about 2 lbs more than my 21 month old toddler! (He's not mine, or I can think of a couple things I would not be doing with this kid. . .)

They are all interested in what we have at this age. I could be holding something non-edible, and DS would grab it if he could and put it in his mouth. Doesn't mean they need or are ready for solids.

We ended up waiting until 7 months for solids introduction.

I'm sure some other moms will have some ideas too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Your milk is obviously metting his needs ! He got that big on just your milk and he will continue to grow with just your milk! Congrats! Keep up the good work!

Lightbulb Re: starting solids -larger than average baby

Quote Originally Posted by mommymilk
    He got that big on just your milk and he will continue to grow with just your milk!
    can we get this printed on a T-shirt???

Thank you to everyone for your replys. It is good to hear such supportive encouragement!!!