Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fever Is breastfeeding still safe?

Default Fever Is breastfeeding still safe?

I've been pretty sick today, and I checked my temp. and found out I was running a fever of 100.7. I know that you're supposed to continue to BF when you're sick, but what if you're running a fever? I did take some tylenol for the fever, but I'm just curious.

I think it might be mastitis, so I plan on going to the doctor. If I can get a spot for tomorrow. Hopefully I won't have to wait that long.

Default Re: Fever Is breastfeeding still safe?

Totally safe Take baby to bed, rest, nurse, sleep

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

What makes you think it is mastitus?

Yes, it is safe to nurse with a fever.. definitely see your Dr if you think it is mastitis..

Red area on my left breast, sore and warm to the touch. I've actually had mastitis before when I wasn't even pregnant or BFing. At least that's what I was diagnosed with. I used to have my nipples pierced.

Thank you for the welcome.

Have you tried massaging it? Warm compresses? Is it raised at all? Do you have any other symptoms? Flu like?

I have had similar symptoms with clogged milk ducts, but not a fever. I hope that it isn't mastitis.. at least in my case it was HORRIBLE. Hugs! Welcome. I'm a newbie as well.

I'm not sure if it's raised. It's on the bottom of my breast, and they aren't exactly small. Lol. I can just see the top of the red area. I've tried massaging it in the tub, and I didn't feel any lumps or hard areas. Thankfully it doesn't hurt too bad yet, but I also took pain meds.. so.. yeah.

By the way, your newest LO is 9 days older than my little man. He was born on the 30th.

Quote Originally Posted by kapzilla View Post
    I'm not sure if it's raised. It's on the bottom of my breast, and they aren't exactly small. Lol. I can just see the top of the red area. I've tried massaging it in the tub, and I didn't feel any lumps or hard areas. Thankfully it doesn't hurt too bad yet, but I also took pain meds.. so.. yeah.

By the way, your newest LO is 9 days older than my little man. He was born on the 30th.
    Awwwww!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR LITTLE MAN!!! How is he doing? How much did he weigh? How was your birth? Totally OFF TOPIC questions .. you can email me if you like since I'm off topic hehe.

I hear ya about the "not exactly small" thing. Hahaha! I wasn't small to begin with and after two children ... they're definitely not small now. I hope you can get into your Dr ASAP to get that checked in case it is mastitis. Blah! So far ::knock on wood:: I haven't had it this time around.. whew!

Totally safe to continue nursing.

Mastitis is so rough. Hot/warm compresses, lots of fluids, nurse nurse nurse. And rest as much as possible.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by kapzilla View Post
    I've actually had mastitis before when I wasn't even pregnant or BFing. At least that's what I was diagnosed with. I used to have my nipples pierced.

Thank you for the welcome.
    Piercing hasn't shown to be problematic with breastfeeding. I can give you some useful references in regards to women who say that previous piercings caused some issues though. Do you notice if the flow is slower on that side, or that baby prefers the other side? Are you thinking that the two are connected? Where is the red area? Did you noticed when it started to become a clogged duct?