Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need input ASAP regarding treating for thrush

Default Need input ASAP regarding treating for thrush

Hi Ladies,

I am a momma to four kids...my youngest is just six weeks old. Every one of my children was breast fed. Believe it or not, this is the first time one of my kids has gotten thrush.

The pediatrician prescribed Nistatin for the baby and I am supposed to put an antifungal on my nipples.

I am wondering this: when I put the antifungal cream on my nipples wont it just rub off on my shirt? Do I leave it on and let it soak in and then put my shirt back down? How do I get effective treatment on my breasts when the cream rubs off so easily?

Also, I'm told to wash it off really well with soap and water so baby doesnt ingest this...I worry about that.

I would love to hear from Moms who have done this treatment...I could use some tips.

THanks!

Default Re: Need input ASAP regarding treating for thrush

I did it and it worked for me.. i just washed it off with a little bit of soap before the baby nursed

use breast pads so that the cream doesn't rub off on your bra or shirt.

if i may put in my 2cts worth... my boy had oral thrush in his first month, presumably becos i'd been on antibiotics after my c-section and that killed my good bacteria n his. it affected me as well becos i experienced shooting pains in my breasts.

i chose to go the natural way after 2 tubes of DAKTARIN gel didn't work with either one of us. (i applied to his tongue and to my nipples) altho the paed gave me a prescription for Nystatin, i threw it away and relied on probiotic capsules for him and myself.

everyday, i gave him one capsule (emptied the contents and diluted slightly with water) to ingest thro syringe and i myself took the required dosage. after less than 3 weeks, everything cleared up perfectly. no drugs, just upping his good bacteria.

might be worth considering if you prefer to go the drug-less way. as my paed says, it's a non-threatening condition and it just needs patience for it to go away!