Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting solids???

Default starting solids???

I posted a few weeks ago about my baby. Jacy is now 5 months old. She is bigger than my 6 and a half month old niece. Does this matter when introducing solids? Also, she won't take a bottle which is scary for me. Sometimes I have school or work stuff and I stress about this. My mom wants to give her bananas baby food. Jacy is constantly chewing her fingers. She tries to put everything in her mouth. What do you think? Not every baby is the same physically or developmentally. How does this come into play when introducing solids???

Default Re: starting solids???

If she won't take a bottle, what about a sippy cup? Or even a regular cup? Ebm can even be fed with a spoon, but that would probably be pretty messy and slow at her age.

I don't think size has anything to do with when a baby is ready for solids; this was an older and now outdated idea (ie baby is at least 14 lbs, baby has doubled birthweight, etc).

Could she be ready for solids? I suppose; some 5 mos are developmentally ready (ds was). Can she sit well unassisted? Pick up small objects? Is she showing interest in your food?

Regardless of when you start solids, it is important to be careful that they do not begin to replace breastmilk as he main source of nutrition until she is 12 mo. Solids during the first year are more for fun and learning and are not as nutritious as breastmilk.

Default Re: starting solids???

I don't believe that size has anything to do with solids- if so, ds would've started at birth! LOL Other than db's size, what else makes you think you should consider solids?

The AAP and LLL recomend that you wait until your child is 6 months until you begin solids. Though our grandmothers and mothers might have been led to believe that there were advantages to early solids, this is not the case. Human milk is the most COMPLETE nutrition for your baby for the first year. You would be substituting your babies diet with inferior food. With that said, there are some signs you should be watching for to be sure your baby is ready. Many babies begin to show readiness through sitting without support. Your baby's natural urge to chew will not develop until 6-7 months, demonstrating a sign that baby's digestive system is ready for something more. When ready for solids, db will put everything in her mouth, watch you eat intently, and maybe even mimick you chewing (but then, some babies are more interested in your utensils than your food so you may want to try giving a spoon first to make sure it's the food baby wants). My ds even started pulling my food off my plate! The early stages of showing signs that the pincer grasp is developing is another flag.

You may want to think about waitng to start solids for a couple reasons. First, you want to maintain your milk supply. When solid foods replace human milk in your baby's diet it decreases the protective antibodies the baby recieves. Your dd will have to balance her energy intake by reducing the ammount of milk she consumes. Also, the younger your baby is, the more likely it is that any foods other than your milk will cause food allergies. Some babies with a tendency towards allergies will refuse solids for 7-8 mos (Mother nature is so smart!).

PP gave good advice about trying a cup. EBM can also be offered on a spoon or through a finger feeder. DS never took a bottle well and at 13 months, just started using a sippy. DH would offer him milk through the syringe that used to take his heart medication when I wasn't around.

Good luck-- keep us posted!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi