Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help with 4 day old

Default help with 4 day old

my son was born at 37 weeks and 4 days, 6 pounds, 1/4 oz. this is my second child. i had no problems with breast feedingthefirst time. my milk came in on day 2 and after a rough start with the left side, he had taken to breastfeeding/latching on well before we left the hospital. he needs to be fed every 2 hours and most of the time falls alseep during the first breast. he is making wet diapers every time (either wet or he pees while i'm changing him) and poops up a storm but i decided to pump a little since at times he doesn't even get to theother breast. i am barely getting anything out with pumping. i am concerned that i'm not producing enough. maybe my milk isn't in completely yet. any suggestions? i'm hoping that with continues attempts at feeding and thepumping stimulation that my milk with increase. thanks for any help.

Default Re: help with 4 day old

Congratulations on your new son!
    Have you tried waking your LO up after he falls asleep at the first breast?
    Ways you can do this are to change his diaper, take his clothes off, burp him, etc. We had to do this with our daughter at the beginning. It sounds like his latch is ok, so that is good! Don't worry about not being able to pump much yet, your body is still figuring out how much your LO needs to eat and his stomach is still very, very small. If you pump too much you may be telling your body to make more milk than your LO needs (Don't worry about the pumping you have done so far, just keep that in mind -- I don't mean to worry you!)
    You are doing a great job! I am sure other mamas will chime in here. They are all very helpful and full of good advice!
    Keep us posted!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

Just the fact that he's peeing and pooping a lot are great signs!! I agree that the pump is NOT an accurate indicator of whether or not you're producing enough. The diaper output is more reliable--seriously.

Here's a good link that will help ease your mind, I think: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

ITA.... pump is never a good indication of how much he's getting...
    CONGRATS
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Congrats on the LO!!! Totally agree with others. Don't worry about pumping right now. Baby is much better at getting milk. I was never good at pumping and thought maybe he wasn't getting enough but he gained steadily, so I decided not to let the pump be a gage.

Also, try stripping baby down and nursing skin to skin contact. Mine always fell asleep too .

Keep up the good work!!!
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

I was like you pumping a few days after birth and afraid I did not have enough. OH BOY I have enough....

If yourself more time and keep offering the breast. You are doing a great job and
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Congrats on your new baby!! My daughter was born preemie as well and I spent the first 2 weeks doing nothing but nursing. She was a very sleepy baby as well, she was jaundiced. I had to strip her down to a diaper, take a wash cloth and rub it on her face and so forth. It was very hard to get her to wake up in the hospital, a nurse had to actually bounce her around quiet a bit to get her to wake up. I agree pumping is not a good indicator on how much milk you have. SOunds like his wet and poopy diapers are great and your doing a great job.

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

At 4 days you might want to wait a while before you start pumping. During this period your body is trying to figure out how much to make to satisfy your baby, easing off the pumping will allow your body to closely match what it needed. The sheer amounts of wets you are getting indicate that you are producing an abundance of milk.

Congratulations!! I am just reinforcing that the pump doesn't really indicate anything. Also, both my kids were quick eaters from birth. I never fed on both breasts during a single feeding, and they were done in 5 minutes or less.

The diapers are the best indicator for sure!