Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just a little guidance please

Question Just a little guidance please

I just would like a little feed back.

My lo has started solids and I don't like buying baby food... (cheap) So he basically eats what ever I give him. We started with sweet potatoes. He really likes those (my mom bought the organic baby kind, and he likes those too).

He also likes bananas (the organic baby kind and a reg. banana)

He HATES baby cereal. But he likes quick oats unsweeted cereal and grtis.

I monitor him after he eats and nothing. He's happy and still poops good (almost too good!).

Does this sound ok? Should I be giving him water? (he nurses b4 and after). How long should I wait b4 introducing anything new? he eats about once a day

I really did want to wait until 6 months, but he's literally pulling the food of the table when we eat... or he screams when he smells food cooking.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: Just a little guidance please

He is looking so sute. I don't have answers but I started mine on cereal b/c she was doing the same stuff she will feed herself with the spoon, but its messy. She loooovves cereal w/ bm! And fruits not so much. I wanted to try grits but I was afraid they might make her choke or gag.

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

it's absolutely fine. I didn't give DS any cereal. It is not at all necessary. He gets fresh fruit and veg (no jars - IMO pointless and a rip off). It's about taste and texture and learning to move food around their mouth. Cereal is bland and therefore pointless!

Leave at least 3 or 4 days, preferably a week between introducing new food.

We just started solids, too! DD was smacking her lips everytime we ate and her highchair arrived the other day so we thought why not? We started with rice cereal + bm and last night it seemed like she actually swallowed some! That was about the fourth day that we tried. We are wondering what to try next. Maybe we will go with sweet potatoes. I know that I think they are yummy
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

ok great!!!

The grits had butter in them and they were pretty soupy...not choking hazard.

Ok I know this may sound strange but what about a ginger snap? He had one he was teething on... and he was very upset when we took it away!

Hi Babygurl!

Your LO's picture is so darling, what a beatiful baby!

So, we started our little one at 5 1/2 months on solids too. He was sitting up and you couldn't eat near him or he went bonkers because he wanted to participate too. We didn't buy a single jar of baby food and he just ate what we gave him. He really hated any of the baby cereals with the exception of the oatmeal, but he was never really that into it really.

He did well with avacados, mango chunks (you can buy frozen mango pieces), plums, pears, sweat potato, butternut squash, and well steamed cauliflower. All of those are pretty mushy and he could practice picking them up and trying to eat them. We did a mostly baby led approach, but also some purees that I had made. He's picky about EBM so anytime I tried to sneak that into either baby cereal or with a pureed veg, he would refuse to eat it.

When he was teething too, he liked frozen peach slices and frozen mango slices. I have had moms just freak out at me when I have said that, but it's not like I handed him a frozen peach slice then left the room! I was sitting right there next to him and he did fine.

HTH

Oh wow, I didn't think about the frozen fruit... I will have to try that... he likes frozen BM.

Read "My Child Won't Eat!"

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Raw avocado is a great first food too. High fat and high calories for the LO's.

i forgot all about the avacados!