Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block Feeding

Default Block Feeding

Hello... I am new to the forums and a fairly new mom. I have a dumb ? What is block feeding?

Default Re: Block Feeding

This is off the LLLI Answer Pages - "During the early months, many babies do what is called 'cluster feeding;' spacing feedings closer together at certain times of the day (typically during the evening) and going longer between feedings at other times" (BAB, p. 36). This variability in frequency is normal. -
    Mine does this, mostly at night. She'll nurse on & off for a few hours, usually every 30min or so. Makes it hard to get things done around then
    Hope that helps.

Actually, I may be confusing block feeding with cluster feeding. Block feeding is using the same breast for several feedings in a row, then switching sides and doing the same thing.

Block feeding is a strategy to fix oversupply issues. Here is a link http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html. It is when you basically feed your baby on only one side for a certain duration of time. By doing this you effectively are reducing the milk production because you are not feeding from both breasts as often. I had oversupply issues. I have been block feeding for about 3 weeks now. I basically feed my baby on one breast for two feedings before offering him the other side.

I am a blockfeeder and have been for three months. I am like the pp I have an oversupply and OALD (over active let down). Anywho, for me if I where to feed both breast dd2 will have nothing to do with both breast at a feeding and I will have way too much milk and in turn my letdown is so forceful(sp) she will gag and not feed.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Quote Originally Posted by cedmommy View Post
    Block feeding is a strategy to fix oversupply issues. Here is a link http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html. It is when you basically feed your baby on only one side for a certain duration of time. By doing this you effectively are reducing the milk production because you are not feeding from both breasts as often. I had oversupply issues. I have been block feeding for about 3 weeks now. I basically feed my baby on one breast for two feedings before offering him the other side.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies