Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vacationing without Babes

Question Vacationing without Babes

HI everyone. I was curious if anyone has any experience with vacationing while breastfeeding without bringing the babes.

I have been EBF my now 9 week old DD, and plan on continuing for as long as she wants/needs. But in the coming spring my DH and I are going away for a week to Mexico, I am pumping and freezing all that I can for the trip so that she will have only BM while away. But I am concerned that she may refuse the breast when we come back. She will be just over six months by that time. Has anyone here been in this situation before ? What did you do? how did babes do when you got home?

Another thing, I know I'm going to have to pump quite frequently while away so I don't lose our supply, Any suggestions on whether or not there is a way to preserve what I pump rather than dumping a weeks supply of milk?

Thanks.

Default Re: Vacationing without Babes

I have not been in the situation you described, but I assure you that many mothers before you have traveled away from baby and continued to breastfeed. You might find this resource helpful:
    www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug00p140.html

It is absolutely possible to store the milk you pump and take it home with you. It would be much easier if your hotel offered in room refrigerator/freezers or if you could have access to the hotel's freezer. You might try to find out ahead of time if there is a Fed-Ex office near your hotel. If so, it might be less complicated to overnight your frozen milk home. Here is some great info on traveling with breastmilk:
    http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...reastmilk.html
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...e.html#storing
    http://www.wakemed.org/body.cfm?id=324

Would it be at all possible to postpone your trip for a while? Or bring your baby with you (perhaps bring a trusted relative that could babysit so that you and your dh could have some "us" time?)? Just more options to consider!

Thanks for all the links I will be reading them thoroughly.
    We have a good stash started for her, and we have been seriously thinking about just bringing her with us.

Bringing her with may be the very best option. I know I wouldn't be able to go without my LO who's now 5 months old.

Also, depending on when you're going exactly, the milk you're storing now may not even be good anymore at that point.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

My LO is 13 months old, and personally, I can't go away without him. We co-sleep and I still nurse him during the night...

HOWEVER,

DH and I dream about going away for 3-4 nights, to an island, sleep late, drink, eat and you know :wink
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

I agree that reviewing your options might be a good idea. Until a baby understands object permanence they don't understand you will be back. A week is a longgggg time for a baby.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; January 6th, 2008 at 11:21 AM.

i leave my son for up to 9 days at a time for work and i've been doing that since he was 3-4 months old. he's never rejected the breast when i've gotten back. he's always very happy to see me.

as for bringing the milk back...i packed a thick styrofoam cooler with 2.2 kg of dry ice (the maximum allowed) and checked it as a bag at the airport. this is when i flew from the states back to the uk. it was no problem at all. they didn't even want to look inside the cooler when i told them what was in it. that amount of dry ice will keep the milk frozen for about 24 hours.

how often you pump depends on how often your little one is eating. when william was 6 months old, i was still pumping every 4 hours when i was away for work.

i say go to mexico and have fun! it is only 1 week out of your child's life and it will recharge your batteries like you have no idea.

My LO is 14 months, and the longest I have left him is 3 hours. It's hard because he never took a bottle, and was always high need. He would be devastated if I left him, even overnight. I personally just cannot imagine being away from him that long.
    Everyone is different though, some pp feel they need to get away. However, if you have the option to bring with, that might make everything alot easier for you.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I'm just posting to say how jealous I am!

You must have some wonderful support if someone will watch your LO that long!!! Good luck, I hope you have fun. I don't know if I could have left either of my LO's that long when they were so little, but once I left I'd probably love the sleep so much, I'd want to stay (jk!)

One thing to think of is she might be a picky one like my 2 kids and refuse a bottle in general. My oldest would take a bottle when he was very small but then he refused one. No matter what he would not take one. With my second I decided to have DH be able to feed him on occasion with the bottle he would throw a fit till he got the boob. No matter what he will not take a bottle. SO you might rum into that problem. I honestly would just take her with you. I know I would go crazy leaving either of my 2 that young. I still haven't left my 11 month old for more then a couple hours and that is very rare that I do that even. MAybe you 2 can plan an alone trip for when she is older. Maybe do just an over night away from her and not a whole week???? Even if I had a formula fed baby it would still bother me to leave her for so long. I know a friend of mine who is breasfeeding has a baby that is 9 months now and when her baby was about 7 months she left her for the weekend with her mom and her and her oldest and her hubby went away for the weekend just the weekend mind you to an amusement park to do quality time with the oldest. The amusement park is near where we live so we got to see them. She had left EBM for her baby and had to pump too and the WHOLE weekend she cried and regretted leaving her DD. SHe hasn't left her since. Just something to think about. Also if your going to have to pump all the time wouldn't it just be easier to bring her along? She will still be so small that you 2 can talk etc AND you might check a LOT of places have child care. I know when we went on a Disney Cruise they had this and we left my oldest in that a few times (which he LOVED because he got to play with other kids) and we had dinner one day alone and then we did a couples massage together. Most places that offer child care they do background checks etc on the kiddos and then you can still do adult things without taking the baby some of you want and have romance BUT the baby is there so it isn't like she is left at home, you won't go crazy missing her and have all those emotions and you can breastfeed her like normal and just leave a bottle with the babysitter. Some places also have babysitters that come into your room and then she could nap in her own portacrib etc. When we went to Disney and on the cruise we at first we going to go without my DS who at the time had just turned 2. THen we felt bad about it and called and added him on....it was very cheap (only 300 for 7 days) to add him onto the trip. Just some things to think about!!!