Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: growth spurt question

Default growth spurt question

My 3wk old is most likely going through a growth spurt at the moment. Yesterday she ate constantly, and she usually cluster feeds in the evenings between 6-10pm. Today she's been sleeping a bit more than usual, and while she hasn't been eating as many times, she has been eating for longer. Hope that made sense. Anyone else have this happen? I've been a bit engorged today from her not eating as much. Her output is fine - plenty of wet/dirty diapers and when she wakes up she's very much alert and interested in the world around her. Another thing - should I be pumping when she usually eats or only if I get very engorged?
    Thanks!

Default Re: growth spurt question

Yeah that definitely sounds like a growth spurt to me! I can't tell you what to do, but I can say that personally I only bother with the pump when absolutely positively necessary. If I was in real pain I would pump a little bit, but otherwise I would allow my breasts to take the orders directly from baby. Normally that's the best idea IMO. You don't want to end up with an oversupply. Trust your body!

It's not good to let the breasts get too full, but you also don't want to overdo the pumping, as too much pumping will encourage overproduction. If you do need to express milk for comfort, your need to express will likely decrease gradually over time; if it does not, then try gradually decreasing the amount you express.
    from Engorgement. Lots of good information on this link.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

I agree with the PP.

My son did sleep longer after a growth spurt, usually only for about a day or so. Then it was back to normal.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    I agree with the PP.

My son did sleep longer after a growth spurt, usually only for about a day or so. Then it was back to normal.
    same here

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Ditto to the PPs.

The idea is to pump off only enough to relieve the discomfort... though I must admit I was tempted to pump off entire missed feeds so as to have an emergency supply in the freezer should I have to be away from my son and leave him with his Dad for a few hours (but then my son was bottle fed EBM for his first 5 weeks so him having the occasional bottle doesn't disrupt his sucking habits).

I'm sure babies grow in spurts like that just so that we mothers increase our supply... "I will NEED more from you now that I am a bigger baby!!"

It just takes a few days for your boobs to get the message and then settle into their new production routine... in my limited experience.
    Last edited by Erebus; December 17th, 2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: ditto

Thanks for all the replies! Today she's been the total opposite - awake and wanting to eat eat eat! So we've camped out on the bed doing nothing but nursing.