Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I was ready to wean, but not this way...

Default I was ready to wean, but not this way...

I had a plan to wean my son, who turned one last week. He already sleeps through the night, so those feedings were taken care of, and I already started eliminating some day feedings. I was then going to slowly eliminate the morning and bedtime feedings. In all, I was hoping it would take a few weeks.
    However, yesterday I had the worst pain in my abdomen EVER!
    It turns out it was a rather large kidney stone. They had to give me pain medication and some anti inflammatory medication. Well, because of all the meds, I can't nurse. I thought it was good timing, but when I got home and had to deal with my sad, crying son, the guilt hit. BIG time.
    I hope he (and I) will get over this in a couple of days.

I guess I'm just looking for a few words of encouragement...

thanks everyone
    -christina

Default Re: I was ready to wean, but not this way...

I'm so sorry! I can imagine that it must be very hard to deny your son, but on the positive side, you were able to nurse him over a year and in our society that is a big accomplishment!! Be proud of what you've been able to do and try not to focus too much on how it's ending.

As for how to deal with your sad baby, I don't have any advice to give, but and I hope someone else comes along with some better advice.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Sorry for your troubles. If you really do want to stop "cold-turkey", then best of luck to you.

But, if you don't want to stop cold-turkey, have you checked different sources about the medications you're taking? I BF'd on massive anti-inflammatories and while on morphine. I have read that the list of medications you truly cannot BF on is quite short, and generally stuff like chemotherapy. I'd go to LactMed at least and see what they say about a particular medication. If you could proceed with the weaning more gradually, perhaps you and LO might find it less traumatic?
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

That sounds like a very hard way to wean. I would ask for safe meds (check with Hale's and/or an LC) and wean more gradually. Cold turkey is generally not recommended for mom or baby's sakes.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Faerie Fertile Guest

That sounds so difficult, mama! Are you sure that the meds you're taking aren't compatible with breastfeeding? Sometimes doctors tell you they are, without checking beyond the Physician's Desk Reference (a big book that doctors use to research drugs). The PDR only lists what the drug manufacturer says in their insert, not the research that has been done on mother/baby dyads.

Well, its been over a week and its been quite difficult. Its actually been ten days now, and the baby is pretty cranky. I still feel like crying almost every day as well. I ask myself every day if I should just feed him again at least once or twice a day.(I definitely still have milk) and go from there. But then, I wonder if it would be just for my sake because I'm having a hard time with this...

I think if you are having difficulty it's because you're going against your instincts. And your instincts are definitely not "just for your sake"... especially if the baby is cranky too, then going with your gut will probably help him adjust as well as you.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.