Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breast Shield weaning - Help? tricks?

Default Re: Breast Shield weaning - Help? tricks?

My lo was on a nipple sheild too...I went to see my lc to try and wean him off....she was terrific at getting him to latch without the sheild and we havn't used it since then! If you can, then go to an lc to help...it made things so much easier for us

I hope some of these tips will work for me. I think the nurse in the hospital was in a hurry and just didn't want to spend much time working with me on breast feeding. I feel like I got the Cliff Notes version of breast feeding. I wish I had known about the issues with using a nipple shield before she gave it to me. It is very hard to get him to feed without it. Mostly he just gets a messy face and gets frustrated and I end up having to put the shield back on.
    The biggest problem is getting him to open his mouth big enough. Anyone have any advice for that?

Have posted on other threads as had the same problems myself, but we were off the shields by 5 weeks.

Amongst all the other things, try squashing the end of your boob just behind the areola so it looks like your baby is going to bite into a sandwich as he latches on. Sorry I can't think of a better way to describe it! This is what eventually worked for us. Once he got the hang of it he didn't need me to do it anymore.

My LC gave the a shield from day one. I have very flat/inverted nipples. I used the shield for many weeks. I wanted to bf without it. I would wait until I knew my milk let down(5 minutes into feeding), and the shield would be full of milk. I would pull him off and immediately put him on. It took about 2 weeks before he learned to nurse without the shields.

So keep up to good work and your LO will get the hang of it