Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast Shield weaning - Help? tricks?

Default Breast Shield weaning - Help? tricks?

Hi
    I am trying to wean my LO off the breast shields. She will go for about a minute and then start screaming. I also tried it in the middle of feeding and once she knows it not the shield she won't try to get on my nipple. I think the shield is so big that she doesn't really have to work at sucking and when she is actually on my breast, it is not as big as the shield so she doesn't think anything is there to get milk from. I looked at some past posts and saw a website that is suppose to help, but nothing works.. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks???? thanks

Default Re: Breast Shield weaning - Help? tricks?

Hi there. Just wanted to say i have been trying too, with no avail. Its been 4.5 months now and i have come to the conclusion that it might not happen. My DS does exaclty what your LO does. He really does prefer the shield. I figure, at least he's getting the breastmilk....thats all i care about. GOod luck and let me know if you are successful!

Hey mamas, it took me several weeks to wean completely off the nipple shield I was using. I found it took a lot of patience but keep at it. That's the most important thing IMO, to not give up. I had to try at every single feeding, and really push it. It seemed to help when I pumped beforehand to stimulate letdown BEFORE putting my LO on the breast.

What I did was something like this-- At first, I would try to get her to latch at the beginning of the feeding. She completely refused to latch for about a week. After she refused, I'd put on the shield and nurse. After a little while, I'd try slipping the shield off. At first this always failed too. After a while, she'd latch on once in a while, then pull off and fuss. I kept at it. Over and over again until perhaps she realized she had one stubborn mama. Then she occasionally refused. Overall it was more of a "phasing out" situation than all of a sudden we didn't need it, if you know what I mean.

Getting your baby to latch at all without it is wonderful progress, you'll both get there soon with a little more work I am sure.

This link has some great tips I think.

Nipple Shields

And this is some information from this website (LLL):

Many infants are more willing to accept the change from nipple shield to breast after the initial milk ejection reflex (let-down) and a pause in the suck pattern occurs. Gently slipping the shield off the breast and encouraging the infant to latch on to the breast is often what the infant needs to successfully make the transition back to the breast. Other infants need a partial feeding at one breast before they might be willing to attempt to breastfeed at the other breast without the shield. Following the infant's cues will help the mother to know when to attempt removal of the nipple shield in her situation. It can be helpful to encourage the mother to attempt breastfeeding without the shield in place at every feeding. Whether this is done at the beginning, middle, or end of the feeding will depend on the individual mother and infant. The Leader needs to stress to the mother that these attempts are learning opportunities for the infant, not intended to pressure either mother or infant to perform.

Older lactation texts may advise gradually trimming the tip of the nipple shield back with scissors until the infant transitions to the breast without the shield. Using this method with a thin silicone shield leaves sharp edges that can lacerate the infant's mouth or the mother's nipple, increasing the breastfeeding problems and weaning potential. This technique should never be used with a silicone shield.

During the process of weaning from the nipple shield, it is essential for the mother to stay in close contact with the infant's health care provider in order to monitor the infant in terms of weight gain. Ask about adequate wet and soiled diapers, the mother's nipple discomfort and milk supply. Those infants who are healthy, alert, and gaining weight well may transition directly to exclusive breastfeeding. However, infants who are experiencing slow weight gain, weak or ineffective sucking, and/or neurological or physical challenges may need additional supplementation at the breast. The individual infant and family situation will determine what is appropriate.
    from Nipple Shields... Friend or Foe?

It's always recommended that mothers use nipple shields under the guidance of a healthcare provider like an IBCLC.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

thanks so much!! I will try at every feeding and hope one day it works!!! I won't give up!!! Thank YOU

I haven't read PPs, but I just wanted to suggest lots of skin to skin contact while NOT BFing. For instance, cosleeping, taking bath together, wearing in a sling topless, so LO gets the idea that bare breasts are cozy and fun, instead of a lot of work! Good luck to you!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

My situation was kind of different in that he was hooked on bottles and not the shield. The shield was so big he would gag on it, but he liked the feel of it because it felt like the bottle nipple. So I put the shield on to make him think it was a bottle, then would take it off when my milk let down and try to latch him on real quick. I was not consistent with this, but was trying it one day and it finally worked. He was a month old and had never successfully bf. I put the shiled on and he thought "oh good a bottle" milk let down and I took it off and tried to latch him. He cried so I put it back on and started again. I took it off and latched him again quickly, and he began nursing like he had always known how! It was amazing. Never had to use it again.
    I agree with pp that skin to skin contact is very important and will help. Good luck to you!

I, too, struggled with getting my first child weaned from a nipple shield. Others have given some good information, so I thought I'd just chime in with some more encouragement. It was challenging, but we finally did it. What finally worked for me was to try to latch her on when she was sleepy. It's as if she was too tired to notice the different feel in her mouth.

The biggest thing though was for me to figure out what the problem was in the first place that caused us to be given a shield. In my case, I had flat nipples. Once I learned a better way to present my breast to draw out the nipple, that made weaning from the shield much easier.

Good luck!

Hi! During the first weeks I used shields because I have flat nipples, too. On his 1st month birthday, my child awakened in a particularly happy mood, I tryied to latch him on without the shield, and it worked right away! Since then we havent' used it again. I had tryied the same almost every day during that month and he always got frustrated and cried. I don't know what changed. I would say: don't worry, just keep on trying without insisting too much and trust your baby, they are so amazing!

I know that my experience may not be transferable to others but the first real feed that my DS had on the naked nipple was immediately after his 6 week vaccination. He was upset by having a needle in his leg and so having ANYthing in his mouth to suck on was a huge comfort to him.... the fact that it was giving hm a great feed I think was just an added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
    I know that my experience may not be transferable to others but the first real feed that my DS had on the naked nipple was immediately after his 6 week vaccination. He was upset by having a needle in his leg and so having ANYthing in his mouth to suck on was a huge comfort to him.... the fact that it was giving hm a great feed I think was just an added bonus.
    OT: They vax at 6 weeks there? Wow...

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.