Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Breastmilk only (nursing and cup)

14 37.84%
  • Breastmilk if nursing, Cow if in a cup

13 35.14%
  • Breastmilk if nursing, Soy/Other milk in a cup

7 18.92%
  • Nursing directly from a non-human cow (I had to put it). ;-)

1 2.70%
  • Other - b/c there always is an other.

2 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nursing & pumping or Nursing and Cow's milk beyond 1 year?

Default Re: Nursing & pumping or Nursing and Cow's milk beyond 1 year?

We are at 13 months and so far I am pumping and nursing. DD takes 10 ounces of EBM at daycare although she would probably take more if I gave it. I keep thinking about switching to cow milk but I have not done so yet. I never thought I would be this conflicted on stopping pumping.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

K never took cow's milk - just didn't like it. Now she gets rice milk in a sippy and mama milk right from the tap. She's more into water though. The rice milk is at nap time only and that's a rarity nowadays (the rice milk, maybe the nap too)

ETA: She's 17 months.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

kelly moms has some good info on cows milk and toddlers.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk
    from that link:
    There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

before my dd weaned I didn't worry to much about adding extra milk.
    She would nurse 1st thing nap and bed time and at least one time between 12pm and 6 am. I knew she was getting the milk she needed.
    now that she is weaned she drinks a max of about 4-6 oz of cows milk in a day.
    Some days she doesn't ask for it so I don't offer it either.
    WE do eat yougart and meals made with rea l cheese.
    I couldn't vote since my dd is weaned from the breast
    good luck figureing out what works best for your family

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    Oh - and a basic question - why does your DH want your DD to be drinking cow milk during the day? Is that based on your recent trip & being sick? Or something else?
    My DH is worried that we need to "Teach" her to like cows milk too in the event that something happens like when I was away sick our stash started to get a little (but he did not run out). The stash got low because he would heat 6oz of milk and she woudl drink 4 oz and he would dump the rest! Grrr. He also worries that if we do not "teach" her to drink milk I will be pumping and sending her milk to college.
    One final reason, in the 60s - 80s formula was best, in the 80s - now Breastmilk is best. He wants to mix it up so no matter what we find out in the future we have done the best for her. My view is that I make it so it is made just for her. I eat healthy to make healthy milk. I can't say the same for the cows (but we would only use organics).
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Ha ha! I seriously doubt medical science is going to come back saying cow milk is best for human babies! I can just picture it...Celebrities going out and buying cows so their babies can have the best - "straight from the tap"!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

in the 60s - 80s formula was best
    Breastmilk has always been best, no study, scientist, doctor, or lab has ever proved otherwise. Formula was introduced into our society, used and promoted, studied and debunked, and breastmilk reigned supreme.

In answer to your original post, I pump for a 17 month old. I pump once a day while I'm at work and he gets a sippy of EBM. He loves cheese and yogurt but doesn't get any cow's milk otherwise. He does drink plenty of water and gets no more than 3-4 ounces of juice a day. He also never gets EBM when I'm around, when he's with me he only get his milk straight from the tap.

Question Re: Nursing & pumping or Nursing and Cow's milk beyond 1 year?

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticLibrarian View Post
    Breastmilk has always been best, no study, scientist, doctor, or lab has ever proved otherwise. Formula was introduced into our society, used and promoted, studied and debunked, and breastmilk reigned supreme.
    I agree but it is not the common view. I ment to put "best" as to say, they thought so but we know they were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticLibrarian View Post
    In answer to your original post, I pump for a 17 month old. I pump once a day while I'm at work and he gets a sippy of EBM. He loves cheese and yogurt but doesn't get any cow's milk otherwise. He does drink plenty of water and gets no more than 3-4 ounces of juice a day. He also never gets EBM when I'm around, when he's with me he only get his milk straight from the tap.
    Ok, this is what we are doing. EBM in a sippy at school and from the tap when I am with her. She drinks a little water but not much. She hates juice, etc. How do I know if she is getting enough liquids?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I pump but mine done't drink more than 2-4oz of EBM during the time I'm gone. They nurse a lot around my work schedule, so my LC told me they don't need that little EBM. I am down to one pumping session now, and hopefully will stop pumping althogether after the christmas break. I'm going to gradually decrease the number of days I pump instead of stopping altogether so if it affects my supply at any other time I can go back to pumping a little every day. After Christmas I'll pump on MWF, then keep dropping days to see what I can get away with. We plan to give them water during the day, if they don't drink much EBM I don't see the point in introducing cow's milk, and I'd rather they continue to get their milk from me. We make sure they get plenty of dairy from yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese etc.

Quote Originally Posted by marymud View Post
    How do I know if she is getting enough liquids?
    We keep an eye on DS diaper output - both the number of wet diapers in a day and the color. Dark yellow urine is a sign of needing more liquids. I think that urine should pretty much be clear.

Our DS is also good at asking - if he sees me (or anyone else) drinking water and he's thirsty he'll "ask" to have some. I've tried to teach him the sign language for "drink" but he prefers pointing.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

my son's 15 months and he is nursed exclusively when i am home. when i am travelling, i pump every 12 hours and my husband gives him ebm twice a day. he's lost interest in the ebm so i really only pump to keep my supply going. other than my milk, he drinks water. we don't eat dairy products in my family.