Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Breastmilk only (nursing and cup)

14 37.84%
  • Breastmilk if nursing, Cow if in a cup

13 35.14%
  • Breastmilk if nursing, Soy/Other milk in a cup

7 18.92%
  • Nursing directly from a non-human cow (I had to put it). ;-)

1 2.70%
  • Other - b/c there always is an other.

2 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nursing & pumping or Nursing and Cow's milk beyond 1 year?

Default Nursing & pumping or Nursing and Cow's milk beyond 1 year?

Hi all,

Of the milk products your LO consumes, do you feed only breastmilk beyond 1 or do you pump for sippy cup milk too. Right now I am pumping for milk to go to my LOs daycare but my DH wants to start mixing in a little organic cows milk - and have me continues to nurse in the morning and at night. My LO is 15 months now.

What all do you do?

Thanks in advance,

Mary
    Last edited by @llli*mary.mud; December 17th, 2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add LOs age
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Nursing & pumping or Nursing and Cow's milk beyond 1 year?

I stopped pumping to send EBM to preschool with DS when he was just short of 16 mo.

The main reason I stopped was because he was only taking 3 or 4 oz EBM when he was at preschool.

We've been working with a dietitian (DS has multiple food allergies). She didn't feel that the small amount of EBM that DS was taking at preschool was a significant part of his overall nutrition, and that DS would likely make up for it by nursing more when we're together.

Based on this, and that it was feeling pretty futile to pump and then not have DS drink it.

Interestingly - DS is drinking more soy milk than he had been of EBM. Which I guess I'm ok with because the soy milk is fortified with all sorts of vitamins and minerals.

I had originally planned to switch DS to organic cow milk at preschool after he turned one. WIth DS allergy to cow milk that clearly wasn't going to happen.

If DS was happily drinking more EBM at preschool I'd probably still be pumping.

Long answer - and a bit of a special case because it involves food allergies.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Oh - and a basic question - why does your DH want your DD to be drinking cow milk during the day? Is that based on your recent trip & being sick? Or something else?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Nursing and pumping (a little). No cow (or other) milk at this point - 18 MOS.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I stopped pumping right around 12.5 mos and tried sending bottles of cow's milk, but she didn't drink it so I stopped sending bottles altogether and they give her sippys with cow milk. They say she still doesn't really drink it, which is ok with me. They give her water, too and sometimes a little juice. She nurses a lot in the evenings and on weekends, though, and eats lots of calcium rich foods.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I voted "other".
    Neither of my boys have ever drunk much ebm so they've tended to have water and solids when I've been at work, and nurse at other times. But I do still pump for nights when I'm at work - sometimes they drink it, other times they don't. They've never had any other type of milk.

We are nursing mostly, with a bit if pumped milk in a sippy cup with meals.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Thomas isn't quite old enough yet for me to have to act on this, so my thoughts may change when we get there , but my plan is to stop pumping and make the transition to cow's milk at some point after his first birthday. I'll continue nursing, but will probably stop pumping at work, and I get so little by pumping anyway that in some ways it will be a relief. I really worry about it a lot now. We've not had to supplement at this point, but it is a real possibility about one week a month, usually during my period. We have an emergency "stash" (ha ha) of 4.5 ounces in the freezer, and that's it other than what I pump each day, which is just enough to get us through. It's nice now that he is doing more solids, because we can fall back on that if we have to.

I also know that as his birthday gets closer, I may change my mind--maybe just the IDEA of not pumping will be a relief, and at least if we have to supplement with something it won't be formula.

I voted wrong! I should've voted other. I only nurse. I don't pump at all. If she gets something in a cup it's water, or sometimes water with a tiny splash of juice. But no more than 3 or 4 ounces a day maximum, and some days none. Yup I'm a...

My pump is collecting dust in the basement, and I will not be serving any straight cow's milk to LO, although she does eat cheese and yogurt. Oh and I mix her oatmeal with soymilk once in a while, I forgot about that.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

I'm a human cow too, going on 13 months. DS refused bottles. He has water in a cup, and like Lilah's mom, he eats cheese and yogurt. No cows milk yet (although his ped. was pushing it )

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK