Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what types of cough drops do you use?

Default what types of cough drops do you use?

what types of cough drops do you use? i've read ones with menthol can decrease milk supply, and ones with pectin can cause gasiness. any experience with this from mothers?

also, what types/brands of cough drops do you all use that seem to work well when BF'ing? thanks!

Default Re: what types of cough drops do you use?

I don't use them, but maybe Ricola or just herbal drops?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Hi, I just read a really good article that organic honey is better than cough drops/medicine etc... I am gonna try it and see. HTH

"Natural honey is a more effective remedy for coughs than over-the-counter medicines, researchers say. A dose of buckwheat honey before bedtime easily outperformed a cough suppressant in a US study.

Honey did a better job of reducing the severity and frequency of night-time coughs. It also improved sleep quality for children and their parents.

Dextromethorphan (DM), the active ingredient in many cough mixtures sold in chemists and supermarkets, had no significant impact on symptoms. Honey has been used in medicine for centuries, not only to treat coughs and bronchitis but also to assist the healing of wounds. For coughs it is often mixed with lemon, ginger or brandy."
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

I just use the Halls cough drops. Doctor says it's fine so that's what I use. Thankfully I haven't been that sick this year...YET. *knocking on wood*

Quote Originally Posted by mommywith3 View Post
    Hi, I just read a really good article that organic honey is better than cough drops/medicine etc... I am gonna try it and see. HTH

"Natural honey is a more effective remedy for coughs than over-the-counter medicines, researchers say. A dose of buckwheat honey before bedtime easily outperformed a cough suppressant in a US study.

Honey did a better job of reducing the severity and frequency of night-time coughs. It also improved sleep quality for children and their parents.

Dextromethorphan (DM), the active ingredient in many cough mixtures sold in chemists and supermarkets, had no significant impact on symptoms. Honey has been used in medicine for centuries, not only to treat coughs and bronchitis but also to assist the healing of wounds. For coughs it is often mixed with lemon, ginger or brandy."
    I've been drinking continuous honey with hot water. If I drink it constantly, it helps keep me clear. But I haven't been able to drink it constantly. I have been using halls and robitussen otherwise.

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I don't - I make hot honey and lemon to drink using fresh ingredients. IMO cough drops do not help, hot drinks and fruit juice work so much better.